View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What about 'artificial boob.' Would that be offensive to someone who had breast enhancement for non medical reasons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I hear fake boobs all the time.

ETA: I've only ever seen 'artificial milk' mentioned on bubhub when trying to upset people and I do believe how we feed our babies is a sensitive issue.
    Last edited by Benji; 26-07-2012 at 14:19. Reason: adding

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What about 'artificial boob.' Would that be offensive to someone who had breast enhancement for non medical reasons?
    Haven't had them, so I'm not sure. (Plus never heard the term before).

I know 'fake b00bs' is usually used as a bit of an insult though.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No it is what it is. Though it should probably be called powered cows milk with added nutrients.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree with you. When used by bf'ers to play the superiority card the term 'artificial milk' is insulting. Bf'ing is bleepin hard and Sometimes it's in mums and bubs best interest to formula feed.

When used in the medical/professional fields then I think it's legit and people shouldn't get offended about its use.

If a woman is upset by not being able to bf, and the term 'artificial milk' is greatly disturbing, perhaps the mother needs counselling. Not saying it to be nasty.

By inconsequential I meant that formula feeding doesn't affect bubbas health and someone using the term 'artificial' milk *shouldn't* impact us if we are comfortable and confident with our selves.

Instead of spending time worrying about a word and complaining about how its used how about folks spend that 10-20 minutes saying a quick 'get stuffed' to whoever is using the term in an insulting way... Then doing something for themselves (hot bath, coffee) or their bubba. Dwelling on the use of a word isn't healthy and doesn't change anything.
    I do get what you are saying, but what you find offensive, I might not and visa versa. That doesn't not make it offensive, just that we have different views on what we deem offensive. That doesn't necessarily means someone needs counseliing.

and as I said, it's not the term so much, but the intent behind it. I do actually log off and go have a cuppa or play with my kids when the forum annoys me lol I come here less often these days for that reason.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do get what you are saying, but what you find offensive, I might not and visa versa. That doesn't not make it offensive, just that we have different views on what we deem offensive. That doesn't necessarily means someone needs counseliing.

and as I said, it's not the term so much, but the intent behind it. I do actually log off and go have a cuppa or play with my kids when the forum annoys me lol I come here less often these days for that reason.
    Agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't we all just hug?
    I find it offensive the amount of terms that people find offensive sometimes. Can't say anything these days without someone being upset. I wouldn't use the term, because it's easier to call it formula I guess, but if someone else said it I wouldn't throw a hissy fit either. If they said "fake" or "pretend" or something, that is clearly judgemental then I might, but to me "artificial" seems like a good clinical term?
    Also, if I had artificial boobs and someone said it, I would probably be pleased they noticed - those babies cost a lot lol!
    I eat artificial foods all the time, and they taste great. I heat them in my artificial oven sometimes. I also colour my hair with artificial chemical type stuff. Anyone wants to think they're better than me because of it, that's wonderful for them but I am not going to sit around wasting my time being offended by it, I'll just enjoy it. As my babies have both enjoyed artificial milk at times.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psylent For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (26-07-2012),VicPark  (26-07-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i dont find it offensive, and i both breastfeed and use artificial breast milk.
    I have a medical condition which impairs lactation, and feel no guilt that I had to supplement my child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Meh, I hardly think starting a thread that took two seconds to be having a hissy fit or that I'm "dwelling".

Half the threads on bubhub are inconsequential and to be honest, I feel I have used my vaccine debate quota this week, so thought I'd get other people's opinions on something that I have thought for awhile now.

PS - it absolutely is used as an insult on bh. I am so glad I am not the only one who sees it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't, that is what it is... It's not like it's even just cow's milk - its a processed product with things added to it.

DS2 has both breast milk and formula, and we call the formula "fake milk", DS1 knows to bring the formula tin when I ask him for fake milk. It is what it is...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-07-2012)