View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't find it offensive, but I fed my son for an extended period of time so am not sensitive about the issue, I guess.

I don't use the term, as "formula" is the most commonly used and understood term, but I don't have a issue with other people using the term ABM either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes, and I think certain members use it delberately to be PA even when others have said they found it offensive. Yes, technically it is artificial, but it's the motives behind the word I don't like. Why not just call it formula? ....bc well that wouldn't stir the ffers would it? Some people just like to feel superior and bfing vs ffing is one of them
    Last edited by delirium; 26-07-2012 at 13:16.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),Guest654  (26-07-2012),Mod-Degrassi  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it really depends on the person using the expression and they way they choose to use it. People who are using the expression with the purpose of being offensive, inflammatory or putting someone down know very well they are doing it.

Personally, as a parent who formula fed, I dont find it offensive, but I can see how someone might when the expression is directed at them by a person being nasty or passive-aggressively putting them down. Kind of like VicParks passive aggressive comment earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    All I meant is that some ladies are extra sensitive and let things bother them more than others. Whereas other ladies might have thicker skins, perhaps more self confidence... And
    other priorities so they can't be bothered fighting against inconsequential causes every 5 minutes.

BTW Using fancy words to insult, I'm impressed.
    I think everyone has a certain subject that annoys them. For some the are sensitive about having to work and thus defend working mums. Some get angry about circ, others are passionate about politics and fighting for wealthy people to not support the poor.

The superiority of *some* bfers and the rubbish that goes on putting down ffers on here annoys me. That doesn't make me over sensitive, just sensitive to this particular subject. Fair enough, you consider it inconsequential. But to some it isn't. Just as certain topics that frustrate or upset you, others may find silly.

Just seems to me if people actually considered people's feelings a little more rather than placing their own right to offend above that, we would have all these b8tch fights on here... and that a general comment not directed to anyone in particular

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),Guest654  (26-07-2012),shelle65  (26-07-2012),WhiteTulips  (26-07-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Didnt read any replies. Replying only to the OP.

No, I dont find it offensive. I BF for 6 weeks and my milk dried up....I went to the shop and bought a tin of formula and used that. I didnt tear up over it. I didnt feel ashamed buying formula. All I knew was that my child needed to be fed and I was not producing milk so I went to the shop and bought the replacement....my childs need to be fed was kind of the only thing that ran through my mind to be completely honest. I didnt realise that FF was such a big deal until I found this forum.
    I think people can tend to be a little bit precious with things these days and find the smallest things offensive. Who gives a rats a$$ if someone thinks you are 'artificially feeding' YOUR child? The sun will still rise tomorrow regardless. There seems to be such pressure to do things a certain way, when parenting is one of the things that there is no set 'Right Way' to do it.
    Last edited by London; 26-07-2012 at 13:29.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-07-2012),babylove81  (26-07-2012),babynomad  (26-07-2012),Jay87  (26-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-07-2012),swizzlestick  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess the questionable word is 'artificial'. When we think of artificial when we think of foods most of us probably think of artificial colours or preservatives or things that aren't supposed to be there.

I think formula is an artificial form of milk (but then I'm weird because I don't consider soy milk 'milk' but a substitute because milk is something that comes from mammals mammary glands!) but I don't think this is a bad thing. I don't think the 'artificial' components of it are harmful and I do believe it is fine as a substitute for those who can't feed their babies.

Artificial feeding IMO is incorrect. Eating is eating - the baby is being fed. Just as my DS wasn't 'artificially fed' when he moved onto drinking milk/water from a sippy cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the "artificial" stigma comes from as powdered milk is manufactured and breast milk is made fresh on demand.
    In the end food is food and while I agree artificial can be used as part of an offensive statement to hurt, I don't think its has been created to hurt those who ff.

As far as I'm concerned a fed baby is a happy one regardless on what milk they drink.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's appropriate in a medical journal or the like as an accurate term.

However when used by some all-knowing *ahem* person on BH in order to 'educate' someone on the failings of their 'choices', then yes, it is inflammatory.

By the way, an articifical limb is called a prosthesis by anyone who has one and anyone in the medical profession. 'Artificial leg' might be accurate, but it's not very nice.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),MissMuppet  (26-07-2012),Mod-Degrassi  (26-07-2012),shelle65  (26-07-2012),wrena  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, and I think certain members use it delberately to be PA even when others have said they found it offensive. Yes, technically it is artificial, but it's the motives behind the word I don't like. Why not just call it formula? ....bc well that wouldn't stir the ffers would it? Some people just like to feel superior and bfing vs ffing is one of them
    I definitely agree with this. I have seen it used on here, and my impression has always been that it is used in a PA way - exactly as you have said. "Well, I don't care how anyone feeds their child, but I chose not to feed artificial milk, blah blah..."

Most things that we use/ eat/ do in life are artificial, but we don't use that term, so it's weird to me that it's used for formula.

"Oh you gave your DD a Rafferty's Garden pouch? Oh, well that's none of my concern, but I chose not to artificially feed MY toddler."

"You made a cake with some White Wings flour? Well, I mill my own. I don't eat artificial flour."

"Yes my hair products were all made from hand squeezed fruits from local people's gardens. I don't choose to use artificial shampoo myself."

"Are you having a glass of water, or would you like an artificial drink?"

"I heard that some people wear artificial clothes. I would never do that personally."

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),bumMum  (26-07-2012),delirium  (26-07-2012),Hamilicious  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was born I didn't see my mum for almost 4 weeks, she had a form of hepatitis , without formula I would I perished . I think it's wonderful we all have a choice and access to it. However, why do we have to be offended ? It is artificial milk and we are lucky it's around for those of us who have no other choice but to use it , this negativity surrounding it is silly. I was never breastfed at all but I'm grateful it was around for me , my two kids were breastfed , I had no issues and found it easy but if this baby I'm having soon or I have problems I will use formula / artificial milk, tinned milk, powered factory made milk ...... It doesn't matter what it's called , negativity comes from people who think they no better and never had an issue .... Truth is artificial milk / formula can be a life saver , a sanity saver , an excruciating pain and agony saver . Doesn't matter what you call it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-07-2012)