View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Many breastfeeding information website use the term in a descriptive manner and are not attempting to be inflammatory. So why do you think they use it? (genuine question).

I remember reading a blog ages ago which discussed this term; it was stated that it was coined to make the person think critically about using formula. Not to condemn, but to change the perception of formula.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We eat artificial cheese and artificial meat and make artificial gravy or stock. The more accurate term is artificial breast milk. The term formula basically means it is formulated by people, not naturally produced.

Having said that, I do think some people can use it harshly at inappropriate times.

I sit here finishing a coffee from an artificial cup (probably even artifial coffee) that I bought on the school run this morning from a take away shop. And I am enjoying it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If formula feeding mothers are offended by the accurate term artificial milk then they probably haven't come to terms with not breastfeeding their babies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At the end of the day, as someone who couldn't breastfeed and was devastated by it, felt guilty over it etc etc, it hurts when people say that.

And if it hurts people to say it, them maybe it shouldn't be said. Formula doesn't sound like "real milk" to me, it sounds like formula. No mistaking - I don't think it is a tin of dehydrated breast milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you know what, it is as bad as telling someone who had a c/section that they had an "artificial birth" and there are all circumstances for not breastfeeding - just as there are for c/sections (elected, emergency etc).

It isn't so much that it isn't artificial - we all know it is, it is the intent behind it - and I do feel that it is used on bubhub to make formula feeding women feel bad about it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (26-07-2012),halloweendee  (26-07-2012),Pawzette  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    At the end of the day, as someone who couldn't breastfeed and was devastated by it, felt guilty over it etc etc, it hurts when people say that.

And if it hurts people to say it, them maybe it shouldn't be said.
    I agree, I would never call it artificial milk in front of parents. I don't call it that anyway so no idea why I would start lol.

I don't have a problem if ABA or scientific papers call it artificial milk. If a mother has fresh wounds it's probably best to stay away from things like that anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't find it offensive, however I can see how the term could be used to be offensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a mother who has been down both routes- my first baby never attached well, so I pumped- and I had enough milk but she still lost weight and was sickly- she ended up on a prescription formula after she nearly died from malnutrition (I'm deadly serious- her weight fell to 2.3kg before we managed to stabilise her). I felt like a total failure- my beautiful baby couldn't have my milk- if someone had said are you feeding your baby artificial milk in those first few months I may have just gouged their eyes out.... Not everyone formula feeds by choice. Since then I have had another baby who bf like a pro and loved it- she never had artificial milk however had she needed it in the way my first daughter did I would have given it in a second. Next time you think about calling it artificial milk think would you ask a mother who conceived through IVF if she enjoyed her artificial sex, a parent giving their child a roll up or fruit bar if they like their artificial fruit. Yes it is artificial milk however we should also have some degree of kindness in how we speak to or treat other mothers. And to Vic Park yes it took a long time to come to terms with my baby not being able to tolerate breast milk I will never apologise for that- I wanted to give my baby the best start and it nearly killed her- if you could deal with that in 10 min then good on you

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),halloweendee  (26-07-2012),hyzenthley  (26-07-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's really the best way to describe it, but I have heard it used as a negative term.

When I was in hospital with DD, the lactation nurse used to "encourage" me by saying "Hurry up, you don't want to be a bad mum and use artificial milk", accompanied with a roll of the eyes and a loud snort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If formula feeding mothers are offended by the accurate term artificial milk then they probably haven't come to terms with not breastfeeding their babies.
    My DD is 5 and I still get upset about not being able to breastfeed her. I don't think I will ever truly come to terms with it. Doesn't mean people can say something they know or suspect will upset me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012)