View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Most ppl would say sugar or artifical sweetner/sugar.

Im not getting into semantics - just responding to your several post about all the 'artifical things' you were consuming.
    True, people would say artificial sweetener.

But most people wouldn't stick 'artificial' in front of everything else they consume that is man made.

Formula is not breast milk. To call it artificial breast milk makes no sense. The WHO recommends only 2 substances for newborns: breast milk or formula. They are not the same, and to call formula 'artificial milk' makes no sense when we do not apply that naming policy across all man made items that we ingest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    True, people would say artificial sweetener.

But most people wouldn't stick 'artificial' in front of everything else they consume that is man made.

Formula is not breast milk. To call it artificial breast milk makes no sense. The WHO recommends only 2 substances for newborns: breast milk or formula. They are not the same, and to call formula 'artificial milk' makes no sense when we do not apply that naming policy across all man made items that we ingest.
    True, but I guess in a hospital setting formula could be a few things. My brother was recently given formula before he could have puree after his accident. But on the paper it was called something different, otherwise all their records could have "formula" for any number of things. But yes I gave them a confused look when they said ABM in hospital lol.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW - I liked when someone called it BMS (someone said some hospy did) but I have no issue for formula, ABM or anythign else really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    True, but I guess in a hospital setting formula could be a few things. My brother was recently given formula before he could have puree after his accident. But on the paper it was called something different, otherwise all their records could have "formula" for any number of things. But yes I gave them a confused look when they said ABM in hospital lol.
    That makes sense.

I just don't see the point in likening it to breast milk at all. It's a different food substance.

I get that the point as far as the medical community go may have been trying to push breast milk, and make that the norm. But, to me, it almost has the opposite effect. It's like saying that there are 2 identical things 'real' breast milk and 'artificial' breast milk, whereas to me it's more akin to whether I feed DD toast or Weetbix for breakfast.

(And that's taking out of it the potential for it to be used in an offensive PA way - which is the only way I have heard it used - never in hospital).

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if we were going to call it anything aside from formula 'modified cow's milk' would be more appropriate than 'artificial breast milk'. JMO.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-07-2012),threechooks  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As I said, I don't use the term artificial breast milk, I prefer breast milk substitute (or formula- I mean who cares really!). However I do think 'artificial breastmilk' is what it is- its an artificial form of milk made to substitute real breast milk. Like artificial sweetener is an artificial form of sugar to substitute real sugar. Or margarine-which I would quite comfortably call artificial butter, is an artificial form of butter made to substitute real butter. Deb=artificial mashed potato, I've heard you can get artificial eggs to replace real eggs for people with allergies. Artificial meat products to substitute real meat for vegetarians (yuck!). People call all these things "artificial ....." and it's no biggie.

I don't think 'artificial birth' can apply to c/s as regardless of the way a child comes into the world, it is a 'birth' of some kind. The emergence if the child from the womb is real regardless of how it took place.

I also don't think tea and coffee are 'artificial' as they are made from tea leaves and coffee beans. However the 'coffee' I drank in the philippines that was made from corn (I think?) could be called artificial coffee, as it's a coffee substitute, made to be like coffee, when it's not real coffee at all! Just like formula is not real breast milk at all- rather milk made to be LIKE breast milk.
    Last edited by Annabella; 27-07-2012 at 21:03.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (27-07-2012),jake's mum  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is used all the time as a dig at ffing mothers as if they are doing the wrong thing. You can argue semantics all you want, but at the end of the day - it is used as an insult all the time on bh. That is what annoys me most about it, Not the term itself - but the way it is used.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-07-2012),delirium  (27-07-2012),Purple Lily  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post and quoted incorrectly...
    Last edited by babyla; 27-07-2012 at 21:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beebs, I couldn't agree with you more. The term itself is entirely accurate it's the intent with which it's used which makes in completely inflammatory.

Using 'it is what it is' may be correct in the literal sense but it is also dismissive of what is a very passive but hugely aggressive put down to many who feed their babies formula.

I'm personally not bothered by it because when people choose to use this term - I see it for what it is and I see them for who they are.

The whole segue into calling a c-section an 'artificial birth' is highly offensive and inaccurate.
    Last edited by babyla; 27-07-2012 at 22:00.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It is used all the time as a dig at ffing mothers as if they are doing the wrong thing. You can argue semantics all you want, but at the end of the day - it is used as an insult all the time on bh. That is what annoys me most about it, Not the term itself - but the way it is used.
    Anything can be used as an insult. And how is it more insulting than breastfeeding supporters being called nipple nazis or the titty taliban? Supporting one does not mean being anti the other. But being compared to nazis or the taliban is supposedly acceptable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

jake's mum  (28-07-2012)