View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 28.99%
  • No

    46 66.67%
  • I don't know

    3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 215
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    From the Merriam-webster dictionary;

    Definition of BIRTH


    1
    a : the emergence of a new individual from the body of its parent
    b : the act or process of bringing forth young from the womb




    2
    : a state resulting from being born especially at a particular time or place <a Southerner by birth>

    3
    a : lineage, extraction


    No mention of vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    but its not artifical - its processed? its the ORGINAL product processed.

    its processed cows milk, processed tea bags.

    processed sugar OR artifical sugar.

    Artifical sugar is NOT processed sugar its something that is produced to replicate processed sugar (no idea what its made from).

    Formula is artifical breast milk; produced to replicate breast milk. (from what I have read on here it seems to be processed cows milk of some sort)
    Which makes birth and feeding incomparable in this thread.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (27-07-2012)

  3. #182
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,981
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Which makes birth and feeding incomparable in this thread.
    totally agree!!!

  4. #183
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    babyla, haven't seen you around for ages!
    Hey Rainbow I've been on an extended BH break... And have recently been tuning back in.. Good luck for next month!

  5. #184
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Which makes birth and feeding incomparable in this thread.
    Naturally. I wasn't comparing them

  6. #185
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,981
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Naturally. I wasn't comparing them
    Other ppl in the thread were.

  7. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    but its not artifical - its processed? its the ORGINAL product processed.

    its processed cows milk, processed tea bags.

    processed sugar OR artifical sugar.

    Artifical sugar is NOT processed sugar its something that is produced to replicate processed sugar (no idea what its made from).

    Formula is artifical breast milk; produced to replicate breast milk. (from what I have read on here it seems to be processed cows milk of some sort)
    Well, here we get into semantics I guess.

    There are 2 definitions of 'artificial'. One is simply 'man made' - which refers to most food products that we consume (and most things that we use in day to day life). The other definition is 'not genuine'.

    So, yes, formula is man made, and it is not genuine breast milk. No argument there.

    My argument is that most products we consume are man made, and it is therefore irrelevant to stick 'artificial' in front of everything that technically qualifies for that description.

    Formula is not the same as breast milk, it is an alternative to breast milk. Therefore to say it isn't breast milk also seems redundant to me. We don't habitually label everything on the basis of whether it is man made or not, nor on the basis of what things it does NOT qualify as. Therefore it is not necessary to do so for formula.

    Formula can be made up of many things, and not all formulas include cow milk. 'Formula' is a perfectly adequate description.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (27-07-2012),Ellewood  (27-07-2012)

  9. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Naturally. I wasn't comparing them
    I know it was to outline it for those who were.

  10. #188
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Seriously nothing never changes around here hey, the divide between how one feeds and how one births, for goodness sake, there is more to life, there is more to being a mum. Why oh why is there always this cr*p on here to make some feel better and some feed worse.

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (27-07-2012),Ellewood  (27-07-2012),Guest654  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),squirrelex  (27-07-2012),zombiekitty  (27-07-2012)

  12. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,146
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked
    871
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Seriously nothing never changes around here hey, the divide between how one feeds and how one births, for goodness sake, there is more to life, there is more to being a mum. Why oh why is there always this cr*p on here to make some feel better and some feed worse.
    Amen sister.

  13. #190
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,981
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Well, here we get into semantics I guess.

    There are 2 definitions of 'artificial'. One is simply 'man made' - which refers to most food products that we consume (and most things that we use in day to day life). The other definition is 'not genuine'.

    So, yes, formula is man made, and it is not genuine breast milk. No argument there.

    My argument is that most products we consume are man made, and it is therefore irrelevant to stick 'artificial' in front of everything that technically qualifies for that description.

    Formula is not the same as breast milk, it is an alternative to breast milk. Therefore to say it isn't breast milk also seems redundant to me. We don't habitually label everything on the basis of whether it is man made or not, nor on the basis of what things it does NOT qualify as. Therefore it is not necessary to do so for formula.

    Formula can be made up of many things, and not all formulas include cow milk. 'Formula' is a perfectly adequate description.

    Most ppl would say sugar or artifical sweetner/sugar.

    Im not getting into semantics - just responding to your several post about all the 'artifical things' you were consuming.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Do you find the term "bogan" offensive?
    By MsMummy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 17:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!