View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    From the Merriam-webster dictionary;

Definition of BIRTH

a : the emergence of a new individual from the body of its parent
    b : the act or process of bringing forth young from the womb

: a state resulting from being born especially at a particular time or place <a Southerner by birth>

a : lineage, extraction

No mention of vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    but its not artifical - its processed? its the ORGINAL product processed.

its processed cows milk, processed tea bags.

processed sugar OR artifical sugar.

Artifical sugar is NOT processed sugar its something that is produced to replicate processed sugar (no idea what its made from).

Formula is artifical breast milk; produced to replicate breast milk. (from what I have read on here it seems to be processed cows milk of some sort)
    Which makes birth and feeding incomparable in this thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    totally agree!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    babyla, haven't seen you around for ages!
    Hey Rainbow I've been on an extended BH break... And have recently been tuning back in.. Good luck for next month!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Naturally. I wasn't comparing them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other ppl in the thread were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    but its not artifical - its processed? its the ORGINAL product processed.

its processed cows milk, processed tea bags.

processed sugar OR artifical sugar.

Artifical sugar is NOT processed sugar its something that is produced to replicate processed sugar (no idea what its made from).

Formula is artifical breast milk; produced to replicate breast milk. (from what I have read on here it seems to be processed cows milk of some sort)
    Well, here we get into semantics I guess.

There are 2 definitions of 'artificial'. One is simply 'man made' - which refers to most food products that we consume (and most things that we use in day to day life). The other definition is 'not genuine'.

So, yes, formula is man made, and it is not genuine breast milk. No argument there.

My argument is that most products we consume are man made, and it is therefore irrelevant to stick 'artificial' in front of everything that technically qualifies for that description.

Formula is not the same as breast milk, it is an alternative to breast milk. Therefore to say it isn't breast milk also seems redundant to me. We don't habitually label everything on the basis of whether it is man made or not, nor on the basis of what things it does NOT qualify as. Therefore it is not necessary to do so for formula.

Formula can be made up of many things, and not all formulas include cow milk. 'Formula' is a perfectly adequate description.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-07-2012),Ellewood  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it was to outline it for those who were.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Seriously nothing never changes around here hey, the divide between how one feeds and how one births, for goodness sake, there is more to life, there is more to being a mum. Why oh why is there always this cr*p on here to make some feel better and some feed worse.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-07-2012),Ellewood  (27-07-2012),Guest654  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012),squirrelex  (27-07-2012),zombiekitty  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Seriously nothing never changes around here hey, the divide between how one feeds and how one births, for goodness sake, there is more to life, there is more to being a mum. Why oh why is there always this cr*p on here to make some feel better and some feed worse.
    Amen sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Well, here we get into semantics I guess.

There are 2 definitions of 'artificial'. One is simply 'man made' - which refers to most food products that we consume (and most things that we use in day to day life). The other definition is 'not genuine'.

So, yes, formula is man made, and it is not genuine breast milk. No argument there.

My argument is that most products we consume are man made, and it is therefore irrelevant to stick 'artificial' in front of everything that technically qualifies for that description.

Formula is not the same as breast milk, it is an alternative to breast milk. Therefore to say it isn't breast milk also seems redundant to me. We don't habitually label everything on the basis of whether it is man made or not, nor on the basis of what things it does NOT qualify as. Therefore it is not necessary to do so for formula.

Formula can be made up of many things, and not all formulas include cow milk. 'Formula' is a perfectly adequate description.

Most ppl would say sugar or artifical sweetner/sugar.

Im not getting into semantics - just responding to your several post about all the 'artifical things' you were consuming.