View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And yet still, no one has answered the questions that has been brought up a few times. If it is ok to call it Artificial milk -is it ok to call a c/section an artificial birth ? And if we did that, how do we honestly think mothers who have had c/sections would react.
    In my opinion yes it is okay to call a csection an artifical birth, DS was born via csection and it was far from a birth it was a surgery. I went to sleep, woke up, told I had a baby boy and he was doing well in NICU. Nothing birthy about that process. I'm not offended by either term and I've given formula to both children, one full time one a little through NGT and had a csection. They're just words.

Call it an artifical birth, it was a sterile and sugrical procedure, sure he was born but it wasn't the way biologically we are designed to birth. I'm not offended by either term and I've both formula fed and had a csection.
    Last edited by elleandsam; 27-07-2012 at 08:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

jake's mum  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Double post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone who has a had a c-section & is facing another one, I am offended by calling it 'artificial birth.' I'll joke with friends that DS was surgically removed but I did not have a fake pregnancy, I didn't have a pretend son and no matter how he came out, I still gave birth to him. Perhaps that makes me an artificial mother?

Artificial breast milk annoys me, but nowhere near as much as artificial feeding. He was fed, he survived, nothing fake about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Mine kicked me out the day after my c-section with my first child, knowing I was in a foreign country with no family local.

Not that that would've had any bearing on my feeding method.
    That's unbelievable and so irresponsible. Not only kicking you after major surgery but having to look after a newborn! It's outrageous. I hope you were ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    See, this is it exactly. It doesn't matter if some people don't feel offended by the term - that is great for them. Good on you for not letting those things get to you. But if some people do feel offended by the term then we shouldn't be using it.

And really - it is the way it is said, isn't it. I have yet to come across a post where "artificial milk" wasn't used as a dig at a ffing mother.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    As someone who has a had a c-section & is facing another one, I am offended by calling it 'artificial birth.' I'll joke with friends that DS was surgically removed but I did not have a fake pregnancy, I didn't have a pretend son and no matter how he came out, I still gave birth to him. Perhaps that makes me an artificial mother?

Artificial breast milk annoys me, but nowhere near as much as artificial feeding. He was fed, he survived, nothing fake about it.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And yet still, no one has answered the questions that has been brought up a few times. If it is ok to call it Artificial milk -is it ok to call a c/section an artificial birth ? And if we did that, how do we honestly think mothers who have had c/sections would react.
    I honestly don't see the comparision that is why I didn't respond to this argument. I think it is a really silly argument to be totally honest.

One is a vaginal birth and one is a c-sect - neither are artifical or referred to as artifical in medical or social situations as far as I am aware. Both involve a 100% natural baby and 100% mother using medical assistance to give birth (varying degrees of medical assistance of course)

Its like comparing apples and oranges.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some people formula feed for medical reasons.

C/section is not a natural procedure at all, formula is not natural either. Hardly apples and oranges - comparing apples and pears maybe.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow its true BH really does recycle every thing lol, Yes its been done before on here where people call a c section artificial birth, you know what as a C section and formula feeding mum, im actually not offended at all these days for the simple fact its only ever on BH where people have there erfect little lives and there happy healthy babies, and they see babies that cant breast feed or are alergic to BM or are lactose intolerant ( true form people google before jumping on me like last time ) or mums that cant BF as really really rare and an exceptional case but you knwo what out side the walls of BH out in the real world the NICUs and PICUS and infants wards are FULL of babies with disorders that effect how they are fed some there guts are fine but neuro reasons effect there ability to swallow and suck, some have birth defects, some have bad guts, some of ventalated more months (and even years ) and can not suck and yes the mums may try and pup milk but you know what you know how hard it is for your milk to come in when sat at home with your little baby and happy life its 50 times harder when you in hospital and your baby may not make it, when you cant cuddle your child for fear of pulling out a line that is keeping them alive.

There is a world out side BH where things are not rosey and the biggest decision you make for your child in there first 6 months will NOT be how are they born or whether or not they are breast fed, sometimes these decisions are taken out of our hands and in the real world they are simply just part of a massive lone struggle and a massive long story just a small part but on here its decides what sort of mother you are and what camp you sit in.

As long as a baby is fed and nourishing i couldnt give a monkeys whether its from a breast a bottle or a syringe or a tube.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (27-07-2012),MissMuppet  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I agree, it'd be a valid comparison for the term 'artificial feeding', feeding and birth are actions, milk is a product.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-07-2012),Buttoneska  (27-07-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I honestly don't see the comparision that is why I didn't respond to this argument. I think it is a really silly argument to be totally honest.

One is a vaginal birth and one is a c-sect - neither are artifical or referred to as artifical in medical or social situations as far as I am aware. Both involve a 100% natural baby and 100% mother using medical assistance to give birth (varying degrees of medical assistance of course)

You seriously dont think that babies are not fed formula for medical reasons ?? really.

My daughter for example, is not able to break down protein, she is also not able to break down fats or carbs so she is UN ABLE to be breast fed, she also has a none functional stomach and is fed into her small bowel, ( not that she is doing wel enough to be of IV food that distroys the liver ) to get her to that point she has had about 50 operations just on her stomach and bowels ( that doesnt include all her other ones ) so YES formula needed for medical reasons, and yes its more common than you think

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

dreadlockfairy  (29-07-2012)