View Poll Results: Do you think the term "artificial milk"is inflammatory?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 28.99%
  • No

46 66.67%
  • I don't know

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    At the time dd was born, I was asked if I would like to use the nursery and allow ABM to be given. ABM = Artificial Baby Milk.
    wow interesting I have not ever heard that term in any of the 3 hospitals DD has stayed at nor read it on any of the forums with other long mums of long term NICU bubs or long term hospital bubs only ever seen it on BH and in the nursery your DD was at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    wow interesting I have not ever heard that term in any of the 3 hospitals DD has stayed at nor read it on any of the forums with other long mums of long term NICU bubs or long term hospital bubs only ever seen it on BH and in the nursery your DD was at.
    Problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    At the time dd was born, I was asked if I would like to use the nursery and allow ABM to be given. ABM = Artificial Baby Milk.
    Did they call it ABM or Artifical Breast Milk?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Problem?

No just surprised thats all, like i said never heard it from a medic only ever on BH so just surprised to here it comes from medics as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never heard it either, I saw a lactation consultant for 3 months, I was on the phone to ABA almost every day, with the first bubs. I had top up formula for the twins because I was expressing but not enough was coming out.

The only place I have ever heard it is here, and it is almost always used as a put down or dig.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Did they call it ABM or Artifical Breast Milk?
    Artificial Breast Milk sorry, not baby lol. They said ABM and I had no idea what that was. To me there was breast milk and formula. The midwife then said what it stood for. Others have said the same thing. Keep in mind this was 9 years ago in Qld, might be phased out, might be a state by state thing. But I have seen it on here from mums with older kids who live in Qld.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ABM as a term is used in the Mater childrens ED and Paed ICU here in bris. I was there last week and was asked how my child was fed - breastmilk or ABM.

When both my girls were born on discharge I was asked how the were being fed the same way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only time I've heard it (apart from bh) was when my midwife visited me when DD was 5 days old. She took one look at me and DD and said "ok we need to get some artificial stuff". I was hugely relieved to get the ok to give my baby some food, instead of her wasting away, too hungry and dehydrated to even bother latching onto my empty breasts. All she could manage was a weak cry from her dry flaky lips. to this day the word "artificial" used in the context of feeding babies takes me right back to that moment, and the most awful awful feeling I have ever had - of not providing food for my beautiful child, and not knowing what to do because I had had "you must only breast feed" drummed into me for months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    For those who say 'it is what it is', then why not call ALL processed foods 'artificial XYZ'?

Tomato sauce has stuff added - it's not just tomato. So... 'artificial tomato sauce'.
    Well I don't call it artificial milk, I just don't find it offensive. I do call it fake milk.

And if there's a highly processed food that resembles little to the original product I would call it artificial or really just crap. If a tomato sauce is really some goo with loads of flavouring etc then it is artificial tomato sauce... If the ingredients are not tomato, salt, sugar, and vinegar and some spices then I wouldn't call it tomato sauce!
    Last edited by jake's mum; 26-07-2012 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think the point girlX is making is that no one really calls it artificial tomato sauce. Nor as has been said, artificial birth.

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't artificial compared to bm, just the motives and connotations of when it is used.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2012),Guest654  (27-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-07-2012)