Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a worker, but feel I don't belong here either because I didn't think it was a great article. It seems very dismissive of the children who don't cope.

And yes, Mem Fox said that after a study was done to show that babies from 6 to 12 weeks in affluent areas were spending 80% of their waking lives at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    To be fair, she was mostly referring to six week old babies who are in care over 50 hours a week, in very affluent families. Not the average working parent struggling to put food on the table, who works the minimum amount of hours required to do so and only puts their child in care because they need to.
    I kinda agreed with her in some ways, however I don't understand why mothers wore the brunt of this and not fathers (but that is a whole different thread!)
    Sure, but it still would have upset struggling mums as well - I mean how does she suggest it's child abuse to put 6-week old babies in care 50 hrs per week if they have rich affluent parents, but not if they have struggling parents? A 6-week old baby doesn't know the difference?? So she should have known better than to publically say something so potentially damaging to women in particular. There's consequences for that that's all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bestselling children's author Mem Fox says people should not have babies if they can only take a few weeks off before putting them into childcare.

The Adelaide-based author of Possum Magic and Where Is The Green Sheep has told the Sunday Herald Sun she trembles when she thinks of babies being put into childcare.
    "I don't know why some people have children at all if they know that they can take only a few weeks off work," she said.
    "I know you want a child, and you have every right to want a child, but does the child want you if you are going to put it in child care at six weeks? I don't think the child wants you, to tell the honest truth."
    Fox says she was recently talking to a Queensland childcare worker who said society would look back "and wonder how we have allowed that child abuse to happen".
    "It's awful for the mothers as well," she said.

"It's completely heartbreaking."
    But the Family Association says today's economic climate is forcing parents to use child care.
    Family Association spokeswoman Angela Conway has told Sky News that families are finding it hard to keep one parent at home.
    "I think many families certainly have been distracted by an economic climate that is making it very difficult to have one parent at home," she said.
    "We really need to face up to the fact that it is become very difficult for families to do that and families that do have a parent at home are making significant sacrifices.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-08-3...ildcare/494602

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    WOW! After weeks of nothing then BAM 5 pages of debate.

I posted this in the Working Mums section so as to try and give some encouragement to other working mums who feel guilt in putting their kid in daycare. The guilt stemms from the media, friends, friends on Bubhub and themselves. My intention wasn't to bag kids who don't go to daycare and wasn't meant to imply this was the be all and end all of all studies in the matter.

It was just posted to provide support.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-08-2012),Ellewood  (14-08-2012),shelle65  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    WOW! After weeks of nothing then BAM 5 pages of debate.

I posted this in the Working Mums section so as to try and give some encouragement to other working mums who feel guilt in putting their kid in daycare. The guilt stemms from the media, friends, friends on Bubhub and themselves. My intention wasn't to bag kids who don't go to daycare and wasn't meant to imply this was the be all and end all of all studies in the matter.

It was just posted to provide support.
    This mum from a long line of working class people will back out now. Sorry to have had input disagreeing that kids couldn't care less.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Eko  (14-08-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    This mum from a long line of working class people will back out now. Sorry to have had input disagreeing that kids couldn't care less.
    Wups, didn't mean to thank that, I meant to reply.
    I don't see the need for a passive aggressive response like that. She gave her reason for posting the thread and it appears to be kind-natured and well intended.
    Why be snarky? You aren't the only mum from a long line of working class people here. I am too, as are many others. I appreciated the article as an interesting read. Doesn't mean I agree with every word in it.

I agree, some kids aren't suited to daycare. But the OP was just trying to help assuage the feelings of guilt that some parents feel, and she didn't claim at any stage that this article was definitive.
    No need to go on the attack .

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-08-2012),Ellewood  (14-08-2012),Naboo  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Sorry, I just don't understand your point. Because this study says they are ok we should feel less guilty and not discuss the merits of the topic, even if I don't entirely agree with it.
    I don't really understand your point actually. I just posted the attachement to provide encouragement to other working parents to put their kids in child care. Nothing sinister. Not bagging out other parents.

I certainly didn't think it would cause this kind of debate, otherwise I would have put it in the General section.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

Eko  (14-08-2012),Ellewood  (14-08-2012),shelle65  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any childcare centre won't nurture my kids like I do, nor will it provide them with the secure attachment I believe they need.

I definitely see the benefits of child care for children, but I feel they don't outweigh the benefits of having their parents raise them full time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-08-2012),Witwicky  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Any childcare centre won't nurture my kids like I do, nor will it provide them with the secure attachment I believe they need.

I definitely see the benefits of child care for children, but I feel they don't outweigh the benefits of having their parents raise them full time.
    That's great, good for you. This is the working parents section. Please define what being raised "full time" means??

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-08-2012),Ellewood  (14-08-2012),VicPark  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry Missie. This was not my intention at all. I didn't realise that this could make someone actually feel bad sending their child to Childcare. It wasn't my intention and I apologise.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast