Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Studies are studies. They work with a sample group and averages: they never mean to apply to all kids.

Different factors can affect whether or not your kid is part of the statistical majority.: learning difficulties, personality, clinginess to parents etc.

So what I gather from this article is that childcare can be good for a large bunch of kids. That's all. I wouldn't use it to bag out kids that stay home with their parents .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Differnt kids different things. It depends on so many factors, temperment of the child, carer, centre, parent, how long for, how often. But it's daycare not prison, and I'd take a guess that most kids going to daycare do so because mum is at work, not off playing the pokies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a positive story - it does NOT state that not going is 'bad'

Remember the Mem Fox idiotic statement - during that time I felt bad as so many people clapped their hands gleefully at the statement that going to child care was really, life-alteringly boardering on neglect.

What this story and study proves is that it is a bad practise for the kids that were studied.

Take from it what you will, it does NOT say that all kids MUST go to childcare, it says that child care was NOT bad for the kids who were studied.

*IF* you child doesn't go, doesn't suit child care then obvioulsy you dont send them if you can manage that. For me it allays my guilt and fear about 'having other people raise my child' as child care is often labelled

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    If this were an article about it being harmful for kids to go to daycare in the first year of life, everyone on this forum would have loved it just about. Or an article about how children who stay at home full time are happier..
    All this crap about about how childcare is bad for kids under 2 is just that. Crap. People pushing their own values for their family on other mothers, in an attempt to feel superior about their choices.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    This is a positive story - it does NOT state that not going is 'bad'

Remember the Mem Fox idiotic statement - during that time I felt bad as so many people clapped their hands gleefully at the statement that going to child care was really, life-alteringly boardering on neglect.

What this story and study proves is that it is a bad practise for the kids that were studied.

Take from it what you will, it does NOT say that all kids MUST go to childcare, it says that child care was NOT bad for the kids who were studied.

*IF* you child doesn't go, doesn't suit child care then obvioulsy you dont send them if you can manage that. For me it allays my guilt and fear about 'having other people raise my child' as child care is often labelled
    I have to agree with these posts, and VicPark. This was posted in the working parents section as positive support for mothers and fathers whose children go to child care.

It does *not* say that it's harmful to not send children to child care, but that it's not as harmful as some let on for many who do. If you don't like child care, don't send your children.

I do remember that WCM and the hip hip hooray for her words about mothers who have made often the heartbreaking decision to put their little babies in care.

I have no issue with child care for those who like it whether they work or are SAHMs. I do note that it's usually us awful 'working mums' who cop flak for putting our children in child care when a pretty high percentage of little ones with SAHMs seem to attend.

I do know that child care did wonders for my DS. I have no doubt in my mind that it doesn't suit others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    IM not seeing anyone in this thread saying that sending kids to child care is bad. Only people saying that to say its good for all children is misleading.
    I guess it's just disheartening after reading Mem Fox and her attack on women who put their young babes in child care and everyone was all wow she is amazing and that is SO true (even though she conducted no studies, just mentioned a sentence of absolutes) and then someone puts a link to an article about a study about how it's not harmful and everyone is all "oh one study proves nothing"..

I dunno... I'm just in a bad mood

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-08-2012),shelle65  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes how dare a study find childcare wasn't harmful for some children. Gee. You mean it didn't find that these children were disadvantaged? Miserable? Well it must be wrong because.. because.. some children don't like going to childcare.

This study is a positive thing for parents who need to use childcare. It doesn't say people should use childcare if they don't want to. It doesn't say all children are happy at childcare and should be forced to stay there.

Common sense. Most people who work in childcare care about children. They certainly aren't there for the riches or the cushyness of the job. Most parents want what is best for their babies and agonize over their decision to use or not use childcare.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on the parent as well as the child. I think if a parent is uncertain/uncomfortable about thier child going into daycare well it's going to have an effect on the child.

I was totally comfortable with it from day dot, I wasn't an anxious worried parent, both my kids have thrived and are happy and excited to go there, they are confident, happy well adjusted kids whom are both very social and well advanced which daycare has contributed to. Definately hasn't done them any harm. Happy kids happy mummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea who the fox person is. I must have missed that whole thing.
    Children's author She went on some ramble about how harmful child care is for young babies, not keeping in mind how mothers would feel. I know personally a friend of mine was extremely hurt by her words as she had her baby at an older age but still had to keep up with a mortgage and felt as though she'd let him down. Of course, bubhub were cheering her on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no idea who the fox person is. I must have missed that whole thing.

My first son went to daycare and it was good for him, it doesnt work for my second. I seriously dont know why stating that its not good for *some* kids would be offensive to anyone? (bummum, if ur super rant post is directed at me... *glares* calm down...

So the fox lady says all mothers who put their kids in daycare at a young age are bad. This says all kids who goto daycare dont care about it... Both are as bad as the other, putting every kid, every parent and every family in the same box.

Take comfort in the fact that Most regular people dont give a crud what other people do, and the ones who do have an opinion arent worth your time of day.
    No not directed at anyone in particular. Just directed in general at the attitude of many. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying some kids don't like childcare. I also don't think that a finding that childcare isn't harmful for most babies is wrong or flawed. I mean the study didn't even say daycare was "good" . It just said it wasn't bad.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (14-08-2012),shelle65  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup that's exactly right bummum. And it's in the employed hubbers section, it's just a bit of support for us I would take no issue with a study saying that children being with their mother 24/7 is not harmful being in the SAHMs section. I personally wouldn't enter that thread and say "the study must be flawed" because I don't think it's true. Some kids are ok in child care, some ok at home. What's wrong with a study that says kids won't be scarred by CC?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)