Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I really hate studies like this because every situation with very child is so unique. As pp have said most kids thrive, but some are traumatized. I really believe that early daycare should be encouraged full time in some situations as some kids would learn more and be safer in child care than at home. Likewise some children would thrive better at home. Silly to generalize. My kids are both loving dc at the moment, but ds1 did not adjust as easily as ds2. I don't think any parent should feel guilty about sending their kids though, so it is nice to read an article that doesn't make the decision harder and more guilt filled than it already is.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (13-08-2012)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My neighbour's daughter happily skips off to daycare for 3 full days a week.

My son was so traumatised by the few hours he spent in 3 year old kinder a week that he regressed in just about all areas (toileting, behaviour, night waking - you name it) and it has taken a good four months after ceasing care for him to 'return to normal'.

Both attended the same centre with the same carers.

It is a very individual thing.

I made the mistake of buying in the grim forecast projected by some that my child would be a friendless, anti-social and bored little boy.

You are damned if you do and you damned if you don't. Honestly, is there anything in parenting that you can make a decision about that doesn't incur the wrath of someone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can only ever speak from experience with my own child and that is that he loves it. He runs down the hill to get there. He's 2 and a very happy thriving little boy. I am sure it's opposite for some children and that is absolutely fine. They are all different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The study is only findings on kids who start childcare in the first year of life v. kids who start after... what about kids who don't go at all? No real control group? Misleading article.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

bressar  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with fearless leader, and believe that childcare has had a negative effect on my son by interfering with attachment and increasing anxiety. It definitely depends on the child.

I think one of the greatest parenting myths is that childcare is necessary or beneficial for young children (under 2 or 3).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I remember the show on the ABC about child care and stress. Some kids cortisol levels dropped while in child care as opposed to being at home, and some vice versa.

I think the 'child care is bad' nonsense is just yet another guilt trip for mothers. It's up to us to work out what's best for our children - I know poverty and a stressed out mum wasn't best for mine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (14-08-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has only just started daycare, but he LOVES it. He's in from 7am to 3pm every day and he thinks it's the best.
    I think it's very important, he's learning more than being at home and has a great time.

If he didn't, I'd take him out straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with Benji and missie_mack.

Childcare was fabulous for my child. I have no idea about anyone else's child. It was ridiculous that I felt guilty for a while when DD was having the time of her life at childcare. Sure, if a child is distressed then that's a very good indicator that it isn't good for them. But being told "childcare is bad" for your child by someone who doesn't even know them can be quite destructive, and unnecessarily so.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe I should of shown DS2 this article, maybe then he wouldnt of cried for me whenever I left him, maybe then he wouldn't of stressed every other day of the week that we were about to take him to 'little school'. He cared a hell of a lot about going to day care!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If this were an article about it being harmful for kids to go to daycare in the first year of life, everyone on this forum would have loved it just about. Or an article about how children who stay at home full time are happier..
    All this crap about about how childcare is bad for kids under 2 is just that. Crap. People pushing their own values for their family on other mothers, in an attempt to feel superior about their choices.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-08-2012),Benji  (14-08-2012),Ellewood  (14-08-2012),shelle65  (14-08-2012),VicPark  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (14-08-2012)