Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Even in my family, having a working mum had no affect on me or my older brother, but there was no way my mum could work with my little brother. He was turning 12 when our parents split, after that she had no choice. My older brother and I were working ft in other towns but I had my brother weekends and holidays from the time my dd was born when he was 14. She worked in a school from 8 to 4 so he was dropped at school by a neighbour and went to the pool for swim squad training after school where my mum met him after 4 so he wasn't on his own, and she wasn't working long hours, but it still hurt him to have a working mother. We are close, but the damage is obvious, and my dd has the same personality.
    And for your brother and DD child care wasn't the optimal answer. That does not negate the studies quoted in the op as being relevant or correct. Your problem seems to be with the title of the article as written by the reporter.

The reporter read the article, put his spin on it and sold a newspaper.

The information and conclusion in the studies stays relevant, and it's fairly widely accepted that there are alway people that fall outside the norm when studies are conducted.

For example, birds fly north/south in winter/summer depending on the bird and which side of the equator your on. A few select birds don't, they might fly east/west or not move at all. These are often referred to as aberrant genotypes and are essential to a species survival if there's a catostropic event that wipes out the main flock. That's not a good v's bad observation, it just is.

The studies referred to concluded that child care is not harmful - based on the children surveyed and studied. You assert your child was - and that is to be expected that someone will not be an 'average' person AND THAT IS OKAY TOO. The blanket title is a bit unfortunate.

The upshot is that working mothers often get derided and bullied and sneered at for abusing, neglecting their kids, for being money hungry, part time parents and for having their kids raise by other people. Just for once a study and an article disproves the smear campaign and I for one applaud it.

That doesn't mean I don't feel sympathy for your dd and I understand you did the very best you could at the time.
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 15-08-2012 at 10:29.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (15-08-2012),PomPoms  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    Sigh

That's it from me as well. I'm asking this thread be closed and moving on from Bubhub.

All the best ladies. x
    I'm really surprised that some people have decided to take umbrage to the fact that child care generally/for most children is fine according to the research.

Obviously it's not fine for some, but I don't see why it could in anyway be offensive or make other people feel bad because most kids do ok, do well or thrive.

It's strange that people are offended by this article.

OP you posted with good intentions and I for one am grateful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    Sigh

That's it from me as well. I'm asking this thread be closed and moving on from Bubhub.

All the best ladies. x
    Sorry for ruining your thread, I just wish there were better supports to allow people to stay home if their kids don't cop, and feel articles like this mean less chance of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes - and in some cases formula is far better than breastmilk

Childcare is the same - some kids thrive, some don't. I really don't think it is fair to try and guilt trip people for what works best for their family (that isn't aimed at you Msmummy- that is just my general feelsings!)

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I treat this argument the same way as I treat the "formula is just as good for babies as breastmilk" argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Who is guilt tripping? If people are happy with their decisions why so defensive about them? Stuff what other people think!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

share a book  (15-08-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And this thread has run its course.