Closed Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think I must've hit the jackpot with my childcare centre. It's non-profit, run by the council, they have a cook come in everyday to prepare fresh, healthy meals, they provide everything from breakfast, morning tea, lunch, 2 afternoon snacks, sunscreen, nappies, milk, hats, bed sheets. The only thing I send there is spare clothes, and the centre has had one staff member retire, all other staff are the same since my daughter started there in 2009, and because it's a council centre, they treat their staff well.
    Im extremely lucky with my centre as well.

My DS1 started there when he was 4. That was 13 years ago! Since then DS2 and DD have attended and most of the staff are still the originals. DD's Kindy teacher also taught DS1 & 2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Has this link been posted in the general chat thread at all? It might get viewed there by more people as not every child in daycare is there because of their working parents. Some are put there as respite for single parents.
    Hi. I posted this in the Working Parents section as I thought it would be more likely taken in the spirit it was intended. When I read this article it made me feel better about things and it also re-inforced what I believed that although DS might benefit more by not spending 5 days in day care, ultimately I'm not 'damaging' him. I assumed this thread would have 5 or 6 supportive replies from other working mums, patting eachother on the back and then moving on.

I do realise that other kinds of families use daycare. A friend of mine has english as her second language and doesn't speak it at home (a single mum also). So she puts her boy in daycare so he can be fluent and not behind when he gets to school.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-08-2012),Misschief  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think I must've hit the jackpot with my childcare centre. It's non-profit, run by the council, they have a cook come in everyday to prepare fresh, healthy meals, they provide everything from breakfast, morning tea, lunch, 2 afternoon snacks, sunscreen, nappies, milk, hats, bed sheets. The only thing I send there is spare clothes, and the centre has had one staff member retire, all other staff are the same since my daughter started there in 2009, and because it's a council centre, they treat their staff well.
    Our centre was like that. They were all great, we had a lot of the staff here on weekends or would meet them at the park for play dates with the kids. I cannot fault the centre, it just wasn't home and even fdc in a homely environment did not suit my dd. No centre would have been good for her. That's why I dislike blanket statements saying daycare doesn't damage kids just like a dislike blanket statements that say daycare is damaging for kids. In my 14 years of childcare and education, I would say roughly 30% of kids who attended daycare would have been better off at home, a small percentage were better off away from their home as much as possible, with over half being indifferent.

Yes it is in the working parents section so I am sorry for not patting everyone on the back saying great article, very true. I give my support to parents doing the best they can but really think the article is misleading.

Great for those with kids who love daycare, it takes away the stress of worrying about daycare. But it doesn't help those who are at work helping other kids through their days knowing their own child is distressed for 9 hours of the day and sleeping for another 12, and the rest of their awake time on daycare days are spent in sadness because they know they deserve to be at home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Our centre was like that. They were all great, we had a lot of the staff here on weekends or would meet them at the park for play dates with the kids. I cannot fault the centre, it just wasn't home and even fdc in a homely environment did not suit my dd. No centre would have been good for her. That's why I dislike blanket statements saying daycare doesn't damage kids just like a dislike blanket statements that say daycare is damaging for kids. In my 14 years of childcare and education, I would say roughly 30% of kids who attended daycare would have been better off at home, a small percentage were better off away from their home as much as possible, with over half being indifferent.

Yes it is in the working parents section so I am sorry for not patting everyone on the back saying great article, very true. I give my support to parents doing the best they can but really think the article is misleading.

Great for those with kids who love daycare, it takes away the stress of worrying about daycare. But it doesn't help those who are at work helping other kids through their days knowing their own child is distressed for 9 hours of the day and sleeping for another 12, and the rest of their awake time on daycare days are spent in sadness because they know they deserve to be at home.
    It's not misleading. It's based on a number of studies involving thousands of children.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    Hi. I posted this in the Working Parents section as I thought it would be more likely taken in the spirit it was intended. When I read this article it made me feel better about things and it also re-inforced what I believed that although DS might benefit more by not spending 5 days in day care, ultimately I'm not 'damaging' him. I assumed this thread would have 5 or 6 supportive replies from other working mums, patting eachother on the back and then moving on.
    I want to thank you for your intention, that is the way that I took it. This thread is my last straw with this place, if people cannot feel safe in their own sections (or even see which section it's posted in) I don't see the point. It just makes people feel bad.

I wanted to let all of the mothers who use child care know before I go:

My mother has cancer that will never be cured. I went to child care since toddlerhood. I didn't take to child care but she worked so we could eat and have a roof over our head.

As the article states, as I got older I didn't care that I'd attended child care.

What I cared about was that I was loved, cherished, nurtured, fed, clothed, housed and tucked into my warm bed each night.

I don't think back to my childhood and think "wow, I really hated child care, how could my mother do that to me?" all I remember is the freaking awesome life I had.

Don't let people get you down girls Children grow up and they DON'T care that they went to child care. I don't care what anyone says.

My beautiful, beautiful mother is the best mother in the world.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-08-2012),babyla  (15-08-2012),bumMum  (15-08-2012),MissMuppet  (15-08-2012),Naboo  (15-08-2012),shelle65  (15-08-2012),Uh-Oh  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I want to thank you for your intention, that is the way that I took it. This thread is my last straw with this place, if people cannot feel safe in their own sections (or even see which section it's posted in) I don't see the point. It just makes people feel bad.

My mother has cancer that will never be cured. I went to child care since toddlerhood. I didn't take to child care but she worked so we could eat and have a roof over our head.

As the article states, as I got older I didn't care that I'd attended child care.

What I cared about was that I was loved, cherished, nurtured, fed, clothed, housed and tucked into my warm bed each night.

I don't think back to my childhood and think "wow, I really hated child care, how could my mother do that to me?" all I remember is the freaking awesome life I had.

Don't let people get you down girls Children grow up and they DON'T care that they went to child care. I don't care what anyone says.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum and it's grea that you have that feeling and that you have a DS who cops with going to daycare. Not all do. That is all I was saying. Gees I don't even know if I belong in this section, working mum who used childcare but being told it was in this section to have only support for the article given? Maybe a disclaimer should be put up to say only working parents with kids who love daycare who agree with the article can answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm sorry to hear about your mum and it's grea that you have that feeling and that you have a DS who cops with going to daycare. Not all do. That is all I was saying. Gees I don't even know if I belong in this section, working mum who used childcare but being told it was in this section to have only support for the article given? Maybe a disclaimer should be put up to say only working parents with kids who love daycare who agree with the article can answer.
    I have concluded that this is such an emotive topic, that it's probably best not discussed, as it just seems to lead to hurt and people often can't change their situation anyway, so it's futile.

the article doesn't support the conclusions that people have drawn from it, but any other message than "daycare is okay for any child of any age for any duration as long as it is motivated by necessity" is met with great negativity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Hugs to you and your mum. I hope you and your mum and the rest of your family are doing okay. Xx

I think I'm gonna take a break from this place also. I have a new and more demanding job so I have less time anyway and I want to spend my free time with the kids. Today I have to send my daughter to daycare with yet another ear infection. I feel awful but she gets ear infections every fortnight as we are waiting for her to have grommets put in still. I have days where I want to ask about this on bubhub. But I know I will be harshly judged.
    I also went to daycare full Time. I haven't got any bad memories of it. I think my mum awesome. We are extremely close. Having a working mum was normal to me. It didn't hurt me.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sigh

That's it from me as well. I'm asking this thread be closed and moving on from Bubhub.

All the best ladies. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even in my family, having a working mum had no affect on me or my older brother, but there was no way my mum could work with my little brother. He was turning 12 when our parents split, after that she had no choice. My older brother and I were working ft in other towns but I had my brother weekends and holidays from the time my dd was born when he was 14. She worked in a school from 8 to 4 so he was dropped at school by a neighbour and went to the pool for swim squad training after school where my mum met him after 4 so he wasn't on his own, and she wasn't working long hours, but it still hurt him to have a working mother. We are close, but the damage is obvious, and my dd has the same personality.