Closed Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Finally, and as a bit of an aside, it would be interesting to see how the changes in ratios and qualifications rolled out this year will change the quality in child care. I believe we should have affordable care available that truly suits and benefits ALL children, and despite what this article says, I don't even think we're even half way there yet.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    And expanding that point, if we blanketly accept that childcare has no effect on children, then there will be less impetus to improve the ratios and standard of care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

Out of curiosity, what are the rations in your state?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are the rations in your state?
    We now have 1:3 in nursery and 1:4 in toddlers, a drop that was a long time coming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I think it's a stretch for anybody to suggest that childcare is akin to abuse, but I'm sure it's been said on this forum before, although I haven't noticed it in this thread. Nobody should throw around the term "abuse" to describe childcare, as it's plainly not correct.

I just don't think it's beneficial for children to say "childcare is fine" or "childcare is just as good as parental care" (assuming the parents provide adequate care of course)just to soothe the parents' guilt. I treat this argument the same way as I treat the "formula is just as good for babies as breastmilk" argument.
    edit.. cant be bothered.
    Last edited by bumMum; 14-08-2012 at 17:07.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the concern is that people will take the message from the article is that "childcare is fine. it doesn't affect kids" and that will affect people's choices.

It is unfortunate that some people don't have a choice, but the effect on the children is the same whether the parents have to use daycare or choose to use daycare.

I firmly believe that childcare for very young children can potentially damage them emotionally as they should have attachment to primary carers, and that their needs are not met adequately due to the ratios.

But surely you can do something, and admit that it's probably not optimal, however when balanced against the other options is the best choice.

I put my son in daycare 3 days a week from when he was 3 months old, and he is now almost 4. I am due again soon and will put this baby in twice a week from when he is 5 or 6 months old. I understand the guilt, the tears, the internal wrangling. He was even kicked out of family daycare due to behavioural issues. But I can also rationalise that we had to make a decision for the whole family, and that living in poverty off my partner's wage (or when he didn't work due to full time study) was not the best decision for our family. Likewise, I also think it's important for women to keep their skills and not be reliant on a man for any long period. I don't know; the whole thing is a big balancing act, but surely as working women we don't just blindly want to be told that daycare is fine just because it may be necessary.
    The research said that there was no difference between children who had been in childcare and those that had not. The article quoted 3 separate studies to support this finding.

If you firmly believe that childcare for young children can damage them emotionally maybe you should also provide three pieces of research to suppport your opinion?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My child cared She was happy to be at my work, but 4 years after finishing childcare she still tells me how she feels and it isn't good, and she was at a top quality centre.
    I think that is a really good point. It depends on the child in question.

Conversely, I was a SAHM with my kids complaigning that they wanted to go to OSHC with their friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    The research said that there was no difference between children who had been in childcare and those that had not. The article quoted 3 separate studies to support this finding.

If you firmly believe that childcare for young children can damage them emotionally maybe you should also provide three pieces of research to suppport your opinion?
    Yeah, especially since most actual cases if abuse occur within a family, or by someone known and close to the victim(s)....!

I am very protective and cautious who I ever leave DS with, but I fully trust the girls at his daycare centre. They're all so professional, loving and caring towards DS and refer to the children as 'their babies'.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 14-08-2012 at 18:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's a stretch for anybody to suggest that childcare is akin to abuse, but I'm sure it's been said on this forum before, although I haven't noticed it in this thread. Nobody should throw around the term "abuse" to describe childcare, as it's plainly not correct.

I just don't think it's beneficial for children to say "childcare is fine" or "childcare is just as good as parental care" (assuming the parents provide adequate care of course)just to soothe the parents' guilt. I treat this argument the same way as I treat the "formula is just as good for babies as breastmilk" argument.

The childcare = abuse comes from the Mem Fox quote. It was said to her and she repeated it as she agreed.

The difference between manufactured formula for babies and childcare is that childcare has been around ever since we all hung out in caves. There is much anthropological evidence that children were cared for by extended family and tribes while their parents hunted/gathered and in the initial stages of farming and animal husbandry were becoming established. Even in many native tribes today looking after children is the business of the whole village - granted babies and little kids are more woman business, but older boys are apprenticed and guided by a significant male and ultimate the whole village guards the entire extended family and tribe population.

I think modern day care settings mimics a tribal setting very well. I also acknowledge that childcare does not suit all children and in fact aberrant genotypes are an essential part of a species survival, and as such once size fits all goes against the grain of the human species surviving. If we acknowledge that raising babies should be more instinctive and less rigid, we have to accept that one size fits all is not possible or natural.

ETA. - even formal state schooling does not suit all children which why Montessori, Steiner, homeschooling and unschooling exist

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-08-2012),bumMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think that it is natural for women to be with their children 24/7.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueberry Crumble For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-08-2012),bumMum  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    I dont think that it is natural for women to be with their children 24/7.
    I agree. It's definitely not natural for me anyway.