+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still waking one week on...

DS has been an enthusiastic night feeder, but I was happy to do it in his time cos he gradually stretched them out until 8 months (down to 1-2 between 7pm and 6am). But then they started getting more and more frequent again...

DS is now 10 months and I've decided enough is enough! :-) I stopped night feeds 1 week ago and have stuck to it. DS sleeps from 7pm til around 3am and is then awake for about 1.5 hours. I've tried patting him to sleep (he just looks at me and smiles for a bit then cries for a bit), tried going in and out at increasing durations and tried just leaving him to CIO. It doesn't seem to make any difference what I do, he's still awake for around 1.5 hours. He cries most of that time, but it isn't a distressed cry. When he eventually goes back to sleep he then sleeps until 6 or 7.

I thought that with no feeds from 7pm-6am for a week he'd just stop waking up outside that time. But he's not! Surely at 10 months he doesn't NEED the feeds. He eats a lot of food and has 4-5 bf a day (and he's drinking more bm in the day since we stopped the night feeds).

I just want a full nights sleep (for both of us)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can only suggest what worked for me...

When I just wanted a full nights sleep and couldn't be @ssed getting up anymore...

I'd just wait till I heard them wake up, then bring them into bed with me. lol so slack... but I figured once they didn't need the breastfeed, they just wouldn't wake...

and it happened... the co-sleeping just kept me rested while I waited.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree a 10 mth old probably doesn't need food in the middle of the night. However, maybe he's lonely? It sounds like he's in his own room? Maybe you could have him in your bed or on a mattress in your room and he might go back to sleep more happily?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

Cosleeping (even just beingin the same room) is definitely not for us! ds wakes more and wants to feed more and I sleep terribly cos I can't get comfortable (if bub is in bed) and any noises that dh or i make stirs bub and I wake whenever ds moves or makes a noise! I'm after improved sleep not worse sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My LO needed night feeds til 15 months. Maybe he does still need a night feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    12 hours is a long time for anyone to go without food or drink. I certainly can't always go that long. Maybe try giving him a drink of water rather than a feed as he may just be thirsty? He is sleeping 8 hours which is pretty good.

At 9mths we tried to night wean with DH going in to resettle DS. After 2 weeks he was still waking up so we figured he wasn't ready yet and now I feed him once per night and will try weaning again at around 11 mths. Some bubs just take longer and will do it when they are ready, and not on your schedule (unfortunately!)

Also we try and get as much protein into DSs dinner meal as possible as this does help them to stay fuller for longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he maybe cold? My DD woke up hourly from 3am when we first started CC, put a heater in the room to keep the temp constant and instantly went to 5.30 when she was genuinely hungry.
    Has a bottle between 5.30 and 6 and I put her back down, she sleeps till 7.30 - 8.