+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baking item suggestions...

I'm looking to get into baking more when we move house but I actually do not have any baking equipment in my house other than some slice trays I use for chips....
    What do you think is a MUST HAVE to have in my cupboard for baking cakes?

Ps. Can't afford a kitchen aid mixer lol.... Will most likely get a less expensive brand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think you need an electric mixer. All you need is a couple of different cake tins or muffin trays, a bowl, a wooden spoon, a set of measuring spoons and a spatula. Maybe a sifter but I don't often sift. Really don't need lots of fancy equipment - just the basics unless you want to do some fancy baking. Enjoy baking is fun - eating it is good too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i just have one of the electric mixers with the two prongs. about $25 bucks and going strong!!! you don't need expensive equipment...my hubby is a chef and everyone is always amazed that we have very few pieces of equipment. you'd be surprised at a real commercial kitchen, they don't have a lot of different gadgets.

get a springform tin (round), a lamington tray, a couple of cookie trays and maybe a square cake pan. 2-3 large mixing bowls (ones you can mircrowave are good for melting butter etc), spatula, measuring spoon and cup. don't have to spend a lot.

enjoy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love baking but only have a cheap set up.
    Cheap electric beater ($30 or so)
    At least one good mixing bowl (Pyrex or similar)
    Measuring cups
    I have a cheap stick mixer as well for crushing biscuits and such
    I hate silicon bakeware so i have cake tins and cupcake tray.
    A sift
    If I think of more i will add

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only really have basics. Things I use most are wooden spoon, whisk, spatula, scales, mixing bowl, loaf tin, cake tin, muffin tin and cutters (when making cookies with kids!)

My must have baking ingredients I always have in are baking powder, plain and self-raising flour, castor, brown and icing sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla essence, salt, sultanas and mixed spice. I think that mainly covers it but I've probably missed off a couple of bits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just slowly gathered tins etc as I baked different things so the initial outlay wasn't all at once. I think I started with a springform tin and muffin tray, then graduslly added loaf tin, bigger springform tin, square tin, pudding tin (basin??) etc. op shops often have cake tins too.

I have to disagree with PP that electric mixers aren't necessary, I use mine ALL the time, but like others, I only have hand beaters, not a mixmaster or whatever they are, and I do a lot of baking and they're fine.

I use plastic bowls (I have a lge and a med), wooden spoon, spatula, measuring cups and spoons, a sieve and a cheap set of scales. I also have a Pyrex glass measuring jug which I use heaps (it has cup and mLs measurements on it).

Ive recently gotten a piping bag and nozzle things to do more decorations, but again that's stuff I've acquired as i've needed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for replying!

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them all??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kmart is pretty cheap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use bub's milk bottle as a measuring jug. Depends on what you bake, may need a rolling pin.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love ikea mixing bowls, they grip to the bench!

I have a hand beater, a springform tin, some flat baking trays and a slice tin. If I make muffins or cupcakes I just put them in patty paper on a flat tray. Proper cup and mL measurers are always good and a decent wooden spoon and spatula.

There's lots of stuff I want but I will get it when I can afford to. I make do quite nicely!