+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast feeding frustration

My frustration began when After 3 days of only expressing not ever 1ml at a time and having a very hungry baby I decided he needed some formula and he was cry and hungry!

This being my first baby I had no idea how to breast feed and every nurse that comes in has a different way of showing you but it wasn't working! He was so upset during feeding and didn't have any sucking technique.

After asking for some formula at 3 am I felt like I had just asked for my baby to be out up for adoption it was a joke! I had to sign a consent form saying that it was my choice to give him formula!
    After 2 weeks of trying to express ( expressing 4 times a night not even getting 5 mls and then having to too theh give him formula 3 times so being up 7 times a night was beyond a joke the pressure they put on me at feeding class was absolutely stupid.

Luckily I had a child health nurse come to my house and agree with me that I couldn't keep doing this, formula was fine for him he was a much happier baby because of this!

I feel for women who feel the pressure of breast feeding, your health is just as important and a well feed happy baby is much better then a baby not getting any breast milk and loosing weight!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best wishes for everything working out for you now.

My elder children were all bottle fed - it took me till my 7th child to get breastfeeding right! And they're all bright and normal now etc. So bottlefeeding is fine if that's what you need to do.

Are you still breastfeeding at all now? Sometimes it just takes a bit of time and you might find that once things settle down, you may feel a bit more relaxed about breastfeeding, especially now that the pressure is off you.

Incidentally, the whole expressing thing can take ages to work properly and never does for some women.

Don't let the pressure get to you about other people's agendas. Any of us who bottle fed, for whatever reason - I returned to work after about 6 weeks with most of my kids - have felt it at some stage or another. But so do breastfeeding mothers in public, so it works both ways.

Good luck and enjoy your little one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's very hard. Why were you expressing? I am completely incapable of expressing but have breastfed both my children. Just in case you thought you can't breastfeed because you can't express or something.
    You posted this in the breastfeeding section so you will probably get some breastfeeding advixe. Mine is .. that formula top ups in the early days are a bad idea for your supply and also can cause a preference for the bottle and nipple confusion. Lazy suck is hard. My ds was premature and had no sucking reflux. He was tube fed for a while. The syringe fed. Then he learnt to breastfeed. That took many many weeks.
    Having said all that, my first son (the prem one) was never exclusively breadtfed. He had formula from early on and he is a healthy and clever child. Formula didn't hurt him at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you've had a tough and frustrating BF journey. I agree with PP and hope everything is working well for you both now

I can completely sympathise with you in regards to the signing of the consent form in hospital and the guilt that you feel as a consequence. My milk took a little while to come in and after 12 hours of expressing without results and a very distressed jaundiced little boy (ended up under UV lights) I decided to top him up with formula.
    I was lucky enough that my milk came in after 5 days and after about a week after that I was confident enough in my supply to stop expressing (which was exhausting and stressful).

To any new mums out there or those struggling with BF I would highly recommend joining the ABA. Not only is the hotline an excellent resource for support but I am also part of a local group of ABA member mums which are an amazing suppport system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He was premature so wasn't able to suck and had jaundice so not getting fluids into him wasn't fixing it at all.

I was expressing cos they told me I had no milk supply and only was to help and possibly breast feed was to try and give expressing a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you both had a difficult start. How is your baby doing now?

Most Mums start with no milk supply, when the placenta comes away it starts the process and if everything goes well after a few days (3 -7) the milk starts to come in. Before the milk comes in, the breasts make colustrum and this is what baby has in the early days.

prematurity, a difficult labour, medications in labour, a surgical birth, baby not being able to have lots of skin to skin cuddles, baby not being able to suck at the breast, sick baby, sick mum... all of these things can make the start of the breastfeeding more difficult - and it sounds like you had a few of these.

A small number of women can also have a condition called hypoplastic breasts, where they don't have enough glandular tissue to make enough milk to breastfeed exclusively, and they have to supplement babies feeds. This is quite rare, but if everything else was ok (baby able to suck etc) and you still had difficulty getting milk it is worth checking out.

The good news is that each baby is different, and even if breastfeeding your first baby doesn't work out, you might have a much easier time of it next time.

There is the possibility of relactating if that is something you are interested in. The ABA can also offer support if you just want to debrief your breastfeeding. you can call them or they have info on their website
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...s-not-work-out

Look after yourself

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldnt read and not reply u are doin the right thing by you and ur baby is he is hungry feed him if u can't breast feed give him formula! U have done ur best at breast feeding and it is hard! Expressing is the worst it's painful and harder than breast feeding! With my first my milk didn't come until the 7th day and my poor little boy had lost so much weight and was just screaming the whole time I was a mess I kept putting him to te breast and he was getting nothing I then tried to express and was getting a drip every 10 mins it was excruciating finally I cup fed him 20 mls and he drunk it down so fast and passed out! I had to sign all the forms and got the big lecture... Pfffft after he settled I settled and slept too and my milk came in but he had lost so much weight that I comp fed him and he thrived and i manged to breast feed until he was 6 months not that it mattered. What mattered was that my little boy thrived breast or bottle it doesn't matter what important is you tried your best and u are taking care of yourself and your baby and he is not starving! 2nd time around diff baby diff story breastfeeding exclusively but it's much easier when u know what to expect! you sound like you are doing an amazing job