+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Snuza or anglecare monitor with mat - sleeping in portacot

Hi all, i am expecting my first baby any day now. I would love to know if anyone has used a snuza on their baby or an angelcare monitor with an under mattress sensor pad? Specifically in a portacot?

I am swaying towards the snuza as it seems to be able to be used anywhere, is small and portable.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi there,

I have the angelcare sensor monitor and I've used it in a portacot.

I didn't think it would work as you are supposed to have a hard flat surface to rest the sensor mats on. However the sensor mats fit great on the flexible mesh bottom between some support frame bars (under portacot mattress). I tested the sensors and they worked.

I suppose It depends on what type of portacot base you have.

I did have to use thick strong masking tape to tape the cords up the side of the cot though as I couldn't poke them out the side (didn't want bub strangling himself).

Another thing: i got the Angelcare monitor without video as the video one was quite a bit more expensive. If I had my time again I'd choose the video one (useful for when bub moves into own room at night).

Regarding the snuza being small. Does it have 2 sensor mats or one? 2 mats are better for when bub gets bigger and starts moving around the cot. People get many more false alarms when there's just one mat.

Best of Luck with bubba!
    Last edited by VicPark; 25-07-2012 at 22:15.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The snuza is a small device that clips directly onto the babies nappy and registers breathing as it touches the babies skin. It seems very popular in the US and i have read great reviews about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an angel care one

It has broken and it is 2 years old, it was used daily from 3 months - 15 months.

BUT its sensitivity is very particular, i have had it register breathing numerous times when ds was NOT in the cot at all

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    The snuza is a small device that clips directly onto the babies nappy and registers breathing as it touches the babies skin. It seems very popular in the US and i have read great reviews about it.
    Sounds fancy... But cool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also forgot to mention that we have a security monitor that does both video and sound that DP has setup so i can monitor bub via ipad, so i am really looking at the breathing monitoring side of the devices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have both angelcare and the snuza halo. LOVE the snuza, portable and so far no false alarms. You can use it in the car, bed, swing etc and I love that bub is monitored every sleep, not just when in bed.
    Hubby is very paranoid that's why we have so many monitors, but he lost a sibling to SIDS and I'm happy to use the monitors to keep him from being so anxious.
    If you've any questions re snuza ask away

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RenovatorMum For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks renovatorMum! How have you found the battery life on the snuza halo? I have read some reviews saying the battery life is only around 3-4 months? Have you ever changed the battery and are you able to do it yourself? Also - does the rubber tip seem to bother the bub much? It looks like it might poke and irritate the bub.

My brother stopped breathing as a baby and i will never forget my mother screaming. Thank god there was a nurse in our shop at the time and she was able to get him breathing again. So thats why i am so paranoid and for $150 for the snuza i think its worth the investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My snuza battery lasted 4 months. Running every night 12 hours a night with continually flashing lights with every breath, couple of false alarm... I suppose 4 month battery life isn't terrible. So I've ordered a new battery for $13 incl postage.

Jasper stopped breathing at 11 days old so there's no hesitation spending the money on something like this for katelyn. So often laying in bed thinking I should check on her... oh wait..... snuza is on. Though that's when she'd sleep through. *sigh*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (26-07-2012)