+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    I can't see how that would work though DL. I was in the apple store the other day and a young girl next to me was trying to get her phone fixed under warranty but they wouldn't touch it because she'd had the screen fixed elsewhere. The screen had nothing to do with the issue she was now having. Wouldn't it be the same for any modification?
    It works the same way as it works with every other consumer product. Just because the guy at the Apple Store says something doesn't make it so.

For example, the vehicle manufacturers in this country spent decades telling people that their warranty would be void unless they returned their cars to the dealership for servicing and repairs. They knocked back countless warranty claims based on no other reason but the fact that servicing and repairs were done elsewhere. And then someone took it to court, the ACCC got involved, and the manufacturers were told in no uncertain terms that their policy was illegal and uncompetitive. Now it is industry-wide knowledge that an owner can get their vehicles serviced wherever the hell they choose, as long as the mechanic is qualified and the repair is up to OEM spec.

Apple refusing to honour a valid warranty claim because a previous repair was done elsewhere is anti-competitive and almost certainly illegal. They can assert whatever policy they want, but if a consumer needs a repair that isn't covered by warranty, they have the legal right to spend their money where they see fit. As long as the work is completed to OEM specifications, there is no justification for such repairs to affect the OEM warranty. Even if it isn't done to OEM specs, unless it caused the new issue and the deficiency of the old repair doesn't impede the new repair they still don't have justification.

This has been confirmed by the courts and the ACCC on many occasions in many different industries. If someone filed a claim against Apple because of something like this, I would be shocked if Apple was successful. Most likely, they'd fix or replace it quietly just to shut you up. There's no way they'd want this tested in court for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (27-07-2012)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hm good to know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately the younger generation, is easy influenced. had I overheard that conversation, I would have given her the number for the fair trading department.
    They would've sorted it out for her.

Another reason I am still hesitant to get an iphone. Maybe I should just stick with my android until Apple loosens up a bit. (IF that ever happens).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    It works the same way as it works with every other consumer product. Just because the guy at the Apple Store says something doesn't make it so.

For example, the vehicle manufacturers in this country spent decades telling people that their warranty would be void unless they returned their cars to the dealership for servicing and repairs. They knocked back countless warranty claims based on no other reason but the fact that servicing and repairs were done elsewhere. And then someone took it to court, the ACCC got involved, and the manufacturers were told in no uncertain terms that their policy was illegal and uncompetitive. Now it is industry-wide knowledge that an owner can get their vehicles serviced wherever the hell they choose, as long as the mechanic is qualified and the repair is up to OEM spec.

Apple refusing to honour a valid warranty claim because a previous repair was done elsewhere is anti-competitive and almost certainly illegal. They can assert whatever policy they want, but if a consumer needs a repair that isn't covered by warranty, they have the legal right to spend their money where they see fit. As long as the work is completed to OEM specifications, there is no justification for such repairs to affect the OEM warranty. Even if it isn't done to OEM specs, unless it caused the new issue and the deficiency of the old repair doesn't impede the new repair they still don't have justification.

This has been confirmed by the courts and the ACCC on many occasions in many different industries. If someone filed a claim against Apple because of something like this, I would be shocked if Apple was successful. Most likely, they'd fix or replace it quietly just to shut you up. There's no way they'd want this tested in court for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks.
    They can enforce that you use genuine parts though, so apple can enforce that you use a genuine apple screen and seals and car manufacturers can enforce that you use genuine components.

The reason apple enforce the genuine screens and as such is because when you take the screen off to replace it you expose all of the internal circuitry of the phone. Very easy to screw up a number of different things from there if you don't know what you are doing properly.

As for jailbreaking....

There is a very fine line between jailbreaking a phone and 'bricking' a phone and unless you are a complete techno geek I wouldn't recommend doing it.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    They can enforce that you use genuine parts though, so apple can enforce that you use a genuine apple screen and seals and car manufacturers can enforce that you use genuine components.

The reason apple enforce the genuine screens and as such is because when you take the screen off to replace it you expose all of the internal circuitry of the phone. Very easy to screw up a number of different things from there if you don't know what you are doing properly.
    No, they absolutely can't. With regard to non-genuine parts, they can only lawfully refuse a warranty claim if the replacement parts do not meet or exceed the OEM specifications, and that any deficient parts are the cause of the otherwise warrantable fault. To assert otherwise has been held to be anti-competitive and thus unlawful.

This was clarified by the ACCC years ago.

ETA: I should also mention that with regards to vehicle servicing, the worst kept secret in the industry is that the vast majority of dealerships use non-genuine, aftermarket OEM-spec parts in servicing and repairs. I earned many a bonus from selling dealerships huge orders of aftermarket service parts.
    Last edited by DaddyLarge; 27-07-2012 at 18:18.