+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a cat and never had a problem. Every house I apply for says no pets and I put all my cats details in the appropriate spaces on the application letter and I get accepted. She is an outside and inside cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a landlord and have put "pets allowed" on our lease. We have always had animals and I know the joy it brings, I could never tell someone not to!!

My advice is apply for the homes that have allowed pets, the landlords are probably animal owners/lovers and will be a little more understanding

On a side note, I think cats are classed as inside animals and as pp said a lot of councils require they be locked away at night. I have two cats and while I love them, they can be a hassle with clawing at the carpet, running up the wall during "crazy cat hour" and - people who don't own cats or haven't had cats don't really know - cats vomit.... More than you think.... Usually in some random spot. Something to think about if you're going to keep one in a rental property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A cat is classed as an outside pet if kept outside but really, cats shouldn't be kept outside.
    Our tenants have a cat but I'm not sure if they keep it inside or outside.
    The real estate is happy with the way the house is kept so I have no problem.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz1910 View Post
    Considering that cats SHOULD be kept inside then no they are not outside pets. Outside pets are ones that are outside all the time. For those that are saying they were not even allowed goldfish normally birds and fish are fine (as long as they are not attracting pests).
    LOL I had to sign a 'pet agreement' and agree to have the carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the lease before I was allowed to have my 4 month old spotted python in a rental - SHE NEVER LEAVES HER ENCLOSURE

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    LOL I had to sign a 'pet agreement' and agree to have the carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the lease before I was allowed to have my 4 month old spotted python in a rental - SHE NEVER LEAVES HER ENCLOSURE
    Isn't it compulsory to have carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the lease regardless of whether or not you have pets?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Defiantely do not get a cat as an outside pet! many councils require them to be kept indoors at night and keeping a cat 100% outside has the high likelyhood of turning it more feral than tame. Cats do not have the innate desire to follow like dogs do so if you cannot spend the indoor time with it to build a relationship then it will not be very tame at all. It will hang around your house if you feed it, but it wont be a lap cat or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always had a well behaved cat in rental properties, he's come with me for 10 years and i've never wrote it down on the application. He is inside and he's never cause any damage. Personally, i don't think having an outside cat is a great idea. They kill wildlife and will fight. And inside cat can make a lovely pet.

Our fella was desexed very young, luckily has never sprayed, scratches up couches and his pole. We keep his litter box very clean, so he has never wee'ed on the carpet. The only damage he has ever done was at one house where the liked to climb up the fly screen (which was very old anyway). We replaced it when we moved, cost us 10 bucks from bunnings i think.

If you have a healthy pet thats wormed/flea treated all of that it hopefully will not do too much damage. We've always had carpets cleaned every 6 months (at our cost) in rentals anyway.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    I'm a landlord and have put "pets allowed" on our lease. We have always had animals and I know the joy it brings, I could never tell someone not to!!
    More owners need to understand this. I get it....its YOUR house and you want the best care for it....but these days, house prices are soo stupidly expensive that not everyone can afford to buy and have to rent...why should they automatically miss out on the joy that having a pet brings?

I applied for 7 houses with my pets listed on the application (all pets negotiable) for one of them......nothing. I then went to a second open inspection, applied without my pets and got the house.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (25-07-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Isn't it compulsory to have carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the lease regardless of whether or not you have pets?
    Not according to the lease I just signed, the only provision for professional cleaning of carpets was due to the pet agreement. Other than that, it just stated that the carpets needed to be in the same state as they were when I moved in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Defiantely do not get a cat as an outside pet! many councils require them to be kept indoors at night and keeping a cat 100% outside has the high likelyhood of turning it more feral than tame. Cats do not have the innate desire to follow like dogs do so if you cannot spend the indoor time with it to build a relationship then it will not be very tame at all. It will hang around your house if you feed it, but it wont be a lap cat or anything.
    I disagree.

I have my girls one inside only, one combined previously inside only and a stray who showed up who is outside only.

The inside only and outside only are tabbies and the most loving cats

The combined is a calico and she is a b!tch her name suits her very well (pandora)
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub