+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pets and rentals?

We will be moving soon and would love to get ds a small pet either cat or dog. After weighing up the pros and cons we think cats our better opions as there wont be any annoying barking or getting out etc.. I have found though nearly 95% of rentals say outside pet only.. Is a cat concidered as an outside pet?
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you keep it outside and don't let it in the house then yep, it's an outside pet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it's not an outside pet.

Your best bet would be either to only apply for properties that allow pets, or if that's too difficult, move into a property, be perfectly behaved for the first lease term, and then ask the landlord's permission for a pet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no idea but I know that where I am located pets aren't allowed at all. We weren't even allowed a goldfish when we were renting!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's extremely hard to find rentals that will allow pets, where I am anyway. Especially dogs. Some properties will be advertised as 'pets negotiable' and, in my experience, most landlords who are willing to negotiate on pets will allow a cat.

I find it all too hard renting with pets because of all of the moving so my cat now lives at my parents house until we buy and I just pay them for food, vets bills and I care for her when I can. I've given up despite being a perfect tenant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep really hard to find rentals that allow pets. The problem where I am is there is always a lot of competition for properties & if there's me with a pet & another person without they always choose the other person. In the end we moved to 1/4 acre where they were happy for us to have dogs. A cat would be different I expect though, as long as you ensure it can be safe outside I can't see a cat doing much damage to a property externally but I've not owned a cat before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, there not much advice here but from a landload perspective. if pets are allowed there are extra requirements by you ie: need to steam clean carpets regularly. we had a tenant that asked if they could have a dog, DH reaction was NO, my reaction was there has to be guidlines in regard to having pets on he property. canot remember the contact as it was done a few yrs ago but states no animals allowed inside the house (seriously as if that would be abided by) carpets need to be cleaned regarly with any damage done will be your responcibility. as i said we allowed or tenets to have a pet but before they asked there was already one there?. so in a way we put the conract in place so when they do decide to move when cleaning is concerned it will be required to be cleaned/treated as if the pet lived inside the home.... (in case of fleas/hair on capets and inside the house)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We applied for a house that didn't say pets allowed but didn't say they weren't either. We put our cat on the application when it asked about pets and we also gave a cover letter and mentioned she is vaxxed, wormed, desexed, flea free and said we would get the carpets cleaned every 12 months to keep it in good condition. We got the first place we applied for and they just included an extra page in the lease about the cat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were very lucky. We were accepted for a rental with no previous rental history with 2 large dogs and 2 birds. To be honest the birds have been the most hassle as they are so noisy! So sometimes what may seem the easiest isn't always. I would have thought a cat would be harder to find somewhere because they by law (in qld at least) have to be inside (not sure if its all day or just at night) and most landlords don't want them inside, we are even allowed our birds inside!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a major problem with my cat.

I would say i have a pet, 'yeah dogs are no worry' ... its an inside cat 'no'

In the end i had to have the cat outside :/

Eta my real estate now know i have rabbits, fish, birds and the cat ... nt landlord doesn't seem to care about caged animals

Also eta even though my girl is outside i am now required to flea treat the house apon exit.
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 25-07-2012 at 17:20.