+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question What's the difference between an opinion and a judgement?

Often in threads people have an opinion, sometimes people challenge that opinion and yet get called out for being judgemental.

To me to say someone is wrong for having an opinion or doing an action is a judgement, but having an opinion is not being judgmental.

For example I might say long hair is old fashioned. That is an opinion

If I say people with long hair are old fashioned, that is a judgement.

Is this how other people see this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (25-07-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Kind of.

DP told her friend we were TTC yesterday. If her response had been "I wouldn't make that choice for myself at the moment but best of luck" that'd have been fine.

But her response was "that's a terrible idea, your relationship is unsteady and you're bad with kids" and that was a judgment.

I think it stops being an opinion and starts being a judgment when it becomes personal. For me, anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are the same thing, but it's how they are expressed or read that can determine if they are an opinion or judgement.
    Opinions are formed and based on judgements. Judgements aren't necessarily a bad thing, we all need to make them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (25-07-2012),lovesushi  (25-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hmm I see a judgement as not necessarily being something bad. WCM you have ridiculously cool hair - that is my judgement of your hair Doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I think an unfair judgement is saying something like "my friend goes out once a week therefore she is a lazy mum". Taking one small snippit of their lives and making an extreme judgement on their entire personality/life which may very well be completely false.
    Last edited by Benji; 25-07-2012 at 15:43. Reason: added

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find on bubhub - that a differing opinion seems to be called judgement all the time. When in fact it isn't - it is just a differing opinion. I feel judgement is where someone looks down on someone else for their differing opinion. Which I admit I do , I think we probably all do? We are human after all....

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (25-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-07-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think an unfair judgement is saying something like "my friend goes out once a week therefore she is a lazy mum". Taking one small snippit of their lives and making an extreme judgement on their entire personality/life which may very well be completely false.
    yep this is what I think too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stating an opinion is just saying how you feel.
    Judging someone is saying how they feel is wrong.....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mummato4 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (25-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-07-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think an opinion has the ability to be either judgemental or not, however I have noticed a lot of people on BH complaining about others being judgemental when they are merely offering an opinion which differs to their own.

I find that a lot of people have difficulty engaging in discussions where their viewpoint is challenged without becoming too inflammatory and defensive and pulling the 'judgement' card.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    An opinion is when you agree with someone, a judgement is when you don't!

I think an opinion can be more flexible - being prepared to take other input into account and possibly changing the way you view a certain topic or situation. I know that I've changed my opinion on a few topics since joining the forums!

Judgement seems more set - refusal to acknowledge different situations apply to different people & making a decision about a person based on one bit if information.

Not sure I'm making myself clear...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think opinion takes into account values and objective info, whereas judgement is more often negative and based solely (or mostly) on subjective values rather than objective information.

For example, regarding working mums- an opinion might be that working mums may miss out on some special events in their children's lives, like awards or performances at assemblies etc, and this can be hard for both mum and child. A judgement would be that the fact they miss these things makes them neglectful and the kids will grow up feeling that mum cared more about her career than them (completely subjective and values based, and quite negative).

Dunno if that makes sense haha!
    Last edited by Annabella; 25-07-2012 at 17:44.