+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9mo refusing EBM at daycare

Hi I posted this in another section yesterday, perhaps this area would have been better.
    I currently send my demand fed 9mo to daycare 2 days a week for 5 hours a day to ease us both in before I return to part time work in a couple of weeks.
    Just recently though he has begun to refuse to drink ebm from his carers from his bottle or even the sippy cup he drinks water from. He drinks plenty of water and eats his solids there but just doesn't seem to want his ebm.
    My concern is though I'll be doing full days at work and the thought of him going all day from 8 til 5 without breastmilk 3 days a week has me worried his nutritional needs won't be being met. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has he only recently started daycare?
    My son did this for a few weeks when he started going to childcare and then got used to it and started taking his bottles..
    I honestly wouldn't stress about it - if he is drinking water and eating food I'm sure he is getting enough nutrients - you said its only for 5 hours a day, so maybe he is lengthening his gaps between feeds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he's been going since he was 5mo. At the moment I'm not overly worried about the 5hr stints, it's when I go back to work for the whole day, 3 days a week that has me concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He might decide to take the ebm when he is there for the longer hours.. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. Just wanted to let you know that my little bloke used to do it and then got on track with his bottles himself..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nin Nan Nong For This Useful Post:

Andi77  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work part time and have done so since my dd was 5mo (she's now 10.5 months). She accepted EBM while I was gone for the few first months (I work for about 5 hours away from her), but for a few months now she has refused EBM when I've been at work. She's enjoyed heaps of solids when I'm gone but no EBM. If I leave her over an evening feed (which I do once a month) she takes the EBM without an issue (but not very much - <100ml).

I say don't worry about it too much. Make sure bubs has plenty of solids and water on offer and EBM if he wants it, but then see what happens. It's not full time 5 days a week, just 3 days, I'm sure he'll be fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Andi77  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I don't have much in the way of advice but maybe some reassurance. My 2 girls were total boobie babies and refused any kind of milk that came out of anything except mummy. They are 13 months apart and I had to sadly wean DD1 at 10 months old cos feeding her nearly put me in prem labour. She was very happy to have solids but would not even consider formula so I was very worried about her nutrition. My very lovely midwives calmed me down and though it wasn't the ideal solution suggested I just make sure she had some kind of calcium (yoghurt or custard) with every meal.
    DD2 went into fulltime daycare at 5 months old. I would go and feed her at lunch time but once she got really mobile and stuck into solids at around 8 months she just lost interest, full tummy and too many things to do. I did ask the centre to give her yoghurt in the morning for some extra calcium but she was happy to drink water and eat food all day and BF'd in the mornings and evenings. She went ahead and weaned herself at 11.5 months and like her sister never had formula or any kind of bottle. They are 2.5 and 3.5 now and pretty healthy kids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquarius81 For This Useful Post:

Andi77  (25-07-2012)