+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kids & TV's/DVD players/etc

How do you manage having a lowline TV cabinet & a baby? My 9mo dd loves pressing buttons, turning knobs and of course pulling herself up on things and my parents lowline TV cabinet is ideal for all that. What options are there (that don't involve a new cabinet - they only bought it a few months ago)? I know it will drive my Dad mad when she manages to actually turn that stuff off/open DVD drawers/etc. It wasn't an issue when my ds was little as they had a different set up and we have our dvr & tv up really high so my dd can't get anywhere near it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    does anyone have a lowline TV cabinet & kids????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I do! We just consistently told DD no and distracted her with toys. Now she is 2, she goes up to it and stands inches away from the tv (until we tell her to move away) but she has no interest in touching it.

We bought the cabinet before DD was born and it was fairly expensive so we weren't going to buy something else. But it's no different to the under-bench oven in the kitchen. We found being watchful and consistent with our detract and deter method was enough, she doesn't touch the oven either

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our actual tv is out of reach but the playstation, dvd player sound system are at perfect height for little fingers. It was just a matter of persistence and saying no and moving ds away to play with something else each time he went near it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tamute For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tv straps for the tv and button covers for the DVD player? I'd be more concerned about the tv though, kids pulling TVs onto themselves would be seriously injured.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is 2, he has full range access to the cabinet,

We have lost cds, dvds and wii stuff as a result,

He stands 5 cm away from the t.v and when asked to move screams and cuddles the t.v *sigh* idk how to avoid it, a taller cabinet can not be done as i have hopper windows

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a big entertainment unit where the TV sat in the middle with 3 cupboards underneath where we kept the dvd's & video's when our twins were babies. The TV was about the same height as it is on our lowline now.

Honestly, it drove me nuts.

It was a wooden entertainment unit and I didn't want to put those clips on the cupboards and risk ruining the paint so they pulled the dvd's & video's out all the time and DD2 liked getting in the cupboard.

We had an older TV and were able to put a parent lock on it so they couldn't change the channel or the volume on us but they did turn it off on us a fair bit. And yep, they would stand in front of it too.

eta: Our sterio woofer thingy was on the floor and had a polly pocket doll pushed inside it. Then when she realised it was lost inside it was the end of the world.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 25-07-2012 at 21:22.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a playpen around the entertainment unit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mim1  (26-07-2012)