+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A croissant is pretty bad, and I could see some people justifying that to themselves as "breads & grains". lol I think the key is what you do 80-90% of the time, not 100%.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    The old "don't eat anything your great-grandparents wouldn't recognise as food" rule.
    Sorry - this made me laugh a little

As a child we lived with my grandparents and great grandparents.

No-one in their right mind would eat like my great- grandparents much less my great-grandfather....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-07-2012),FearlessLeader  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not saying you have to eat like them. It's saying don't eat anything they wouldn't recognise as food. e.g. If they saw a head of broccoli they would know that is food. If they saw a pop tart, they would probably wonder what it is and what you do with it. Or perhaps it depends how old you are. ;-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (26-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (26-07-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I find 'clean eating' to be a bit of a buzz word for healthy eating.

I don't know about anyone else's grandparents but boy they ate some gross stuff. I remember my pa had a bucket of congealed animal fat in a bucket on the BBQ. Eww. And they ate a ton of sugar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not saying you have to eat like them. It's saying don't eat anything they wouldn't recognise as food. e.g. If they saw a head of broccoli they would know that is food. If they saw a pop tart, they would probably wonder what it is and what you do with it. Or perhaps it depends how old you are. ;-)
    Going off track - my great grandfather 'saw' carp, hares and green lamb as food (you know, you carve of the green bits for the dog and curried the rest).

He never 'saw' broccoli and believed food was edible once coated in a fine sheen of salt. Weavils made great fish bait and could be sieved out of flour...

I know this is a total off track, it just made me giggle
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 26-07-2012 at 10:46.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-07-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL, unless the pop tart was suspended in jelly my grandmother in law (97) puts everything in jelly. I wouldn't eat like her meals consist of fried fish/sausages/chops and chips with a sorry looking grated carrot, cabbage and sweetcorn salad, then something-in-jelly for dessert. MIL has to hide things like ginger when she cooks with it, as her mum refuses to believe it's edible. I do get what you mean, though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My gp told me three years ago "go back to the cave times, eat how they ate" meanong exactly what everyone is saying, if it doesnt grow from the ground or walk the earth dont eat it.

I said " pretty sure woolies dont have any sabretooth tiger in the meat dept" lol

He shook his head. The right idea is there, just depends how literal you take it

Its definitely nothing new. The body/gut was never designed to break down down and absorb preservatives and all that crap.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha Sounds interesting. My great-grandparents were long dead before I was born. It's not my saying by the way - I was just quoting a very commonly used expression.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Going off track - my great grandfather 'saw' carp, hares and green lamb as food (you know, you carve of the green bits for the dog and curried the rest).

He never 'saw' broccoli and believed food was edible once coated in a fine sheen of salt. Weavils made great fish bait and could be sieved out of flour...

I know this is a total off track, it just made me giggle
    ewww gross haha

this looks much better thanks. This mornings brekkie....there is oats under there somewhere....

uploadfromtaptalk1343264030661.jpg

om nom om

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (26-07-2012),WorkingClassMum  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    LOL, unless the pop tart was suspended in jelly my grandmother in law (97) puts everything in jelly. I wouldn't eat like her meals consist of fried fish/sausages/chops and chips with a sorry looking grated carrot, cabbage and sweetcorn salad, then something-in-jelly for dessert. MIL has to hide things like ginger when she cooks with it, as her mum refuses to believe it's edible. I do get what you mean, though. Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Yuck - I wouldn't want to eat at her house. My grandma (the Aussie one) ate such boring, bland, over-cooked food. Cack.