+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Fixing flat screen TV's to walls?

Is there a way to fix a 40" flat screen TV to the wall, but still allow it to tilt left & right so it can be seen from the other side of the room/etc?

My parents TV is on a lowline TV cabinet and not fixed to the wall at all as they often turn it about 20 - 30 degrees to the left to watch it from the kitchen or face it forwards to watch it from the couch. BUT, my 9mo dd is now standing up and pulling/banging/etc at things and I know she will try & pull it down on herself (or break it from banging it!).

I'm not sure where to go to even look for decent wall brackets for TV's and to find out if this type of bracket even exists. All help appreciated as she is going to be there for the whole day next week so I don't have long to find the right type of bracket!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They do have brackets that allow u to tilt up and down, or left and right, or both. Those are more pricey than the non-tilting brackets though. And the brackets will need to suit ur size tv (usually based on screen size)

Places like JB Hi-Fi should sell them, but I've found them a lot cheaper online. Maybe visit a store and speak to someone so u have an idea what you're looking for, then have a browse online?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jo7 For This Useful Post:

mim1  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it would be possible, but would depend on how much you are willing to pay and quite possibly if the wall is double bricked or not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

mim1  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I used to work in the industry. There are wall brackets available for that size, but they can get very expensive (especially if you want the swivel kind). The problem is the weight of the TV. The more you want it to swivel the further it needs to come out from the wall - which means less support for the unit and more chance of it pulling out of the wall! There are also brackets that support from the ceiling that will allow full range of motion, but again, for that size, it can get a bit expensive.

Here are a couple of links for companies that make them which will show you what's around -
    http://www.atdec.com.au/
    http://www.vogels.com/web/Consumer.htm?c=AU

I would recommend going somewhere like Harvey's or Retravision or a boutique store rather than JB as their staff are better trained and can give you a little bit better/more helpful information. Have a look at a few different types and then do your online shopping, if that's what you want.

The only other advice I can offer is - whilst you should always look for a bargain - you DO get what you pay for, and sometimes you need to question why a particular item is hundreds of dollars cheaper than everything else. I have heard stories of cheap brackets breaking or pulling out of walls and dropping plasmas - which can be upwards of 20kgs!

I hope this helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

mim1  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My OH use to work for D!ck Smith and I remember him saying something about the brackets have to fitted by a professional otherwise it voids warranties.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

mim1  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    My OH use to work for D!ck Smith and I remember him saying something about the brackets have to fitted by a professional otherwise it voids warranties.
    A lot of them do, especially for that size and weight. I used to recommend it to clients regardless, better to pay someone to put it up then to have a 25kg tv drop on your head!! Plus some of them can get really complicated.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

mim1  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    Bother. The house is in the country . There is a retravision there, but it's tiny. Might have to send Dad in there to talk to them.

What about a cable to attach it to the wall? Dad said something about hearing about those. Are they useful at all?