+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hitting self

Forgive me if this has been done before, I'm on my phone and I couldn't find it...
    My 16 mo DD keeps smacking herself in the face. It has me confused and concerned.
    She's a bright little girl, and responds to questions (in her own way) and does what she's asked (if it suits her) and is ever capable but more and more frequently this week I'm finding her smacking herself.
    It started in the car and I thought not much of it - maybe boredom? She has a ton of stuff to do in there but no pots and pans or glad wrap to unroll tho (terrible mummy me!)
    But now it just happens randomly. She doesn't SEEM to be frustrated trying to communicate as she is pretty good at it with her limited words and signs. She will be fine sitting there and then smack! Or changing her nappy and smack. Or looking in the pantry and smack.
    She has been going thru the smack us in the face phase but that's getting better with us feigning hurt. Is it related?
    Has anyone else come across this? Please tell me it's just a short phase!

ETA: I did ask our GP but he dismissed it as nothing to be worried about but I still can't help it!
    Last edited by Pipsicle; 25-07-2012 at 11:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 used to do it too....and I seem to remember my nephew doing it too around that age.

For both of them it seemed to be an attention seeking phase. You know the first few times they do it and everyone goes 'Oh no baby..dont do that!' 'Whats wrong?' etc, etc.

They both have grown out of it....with no ill effects!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were having a similar issue, DS, also 16mths hits his head, however, it comes from pure frustration, i posted about it the other day and lots of mums commented they had the same issue, all bubs were around the same age too, and most found ignoring the behaviour worked best, our problem was getting better but then mil and fil we're over and made a song and dance about it, so later he tried again got a huge reaction again and continued doing so throughout the whole evening and of course today he has kept it up anyway my point being perhaps yours is also just a phase - try to see how u go by not reacting to it- I know easier said then done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you
    Sorry sparklebug I didn't see ur post the other day! I'll look specifically for it now!
    Ok ignoring mask on now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lets keep our fingers crossed it works for both of us!