User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anonymous donor sperm - how does it work at your clinic?

I've been talking in another thread about my concerns on the very real possibility of DH and I needing donor sperm in future IVF attempts. I thought I'd make a seperate thread to hopefully get the input from more people who used or are using donor sperm.

Basically, my main concern is how long it takes from making the decision to use donor sperm to actually doing your first donor cycle. I've heard of people who are able to just go straight into it, and I've heard of others who have had to sit on a waiting list for 6+ months. What are the reasons for this large discrepancy? Does it purely depend on your clinic?

Secondly, how does the donor process work at your clinic? I thought it was pretty standard that most IVF clinics sourced their own donors and had their own donor programs. According to my clinic'c website, this is what they do. But it appears that some clinics actually source external sperm donors/programs. What does your clinic do, and does it affect the waiting time for donor sperm?

Hopefully a few of you can help me out here with your experiences. We are not at the stage of using donor sperm yet, but could very well be in a few months time. So I have an invested interest in this topic.
    Me (33) & DH (35) - Azoo
    DS

ICSI #1 - ICSI #4 - BFN ~ FET #1 CHEM PG ~ ICSI #5 - June 2013 - BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump! I'm interested too!
    Together 10 years and still madly in love
    ICSI#1 - BFN - No frosties - Sept 11
    PICSI#2 - Feb 2012 - BPN
    FET-April - BFN
    PICSI#3 - BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sariel, I think it must depend on the number of donors available. We had no other option than using Xytex as there are no ACT donors, (at present). Donations are few and far between in Aus in general, presumably because Aussies are concerned by having to agree to disclosure at 18, (if the child wishes to seek them out). I had actually never heard of any other process but we're small and limited in the ACT compared to other states.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jaandaw For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Sariel,
    My clinic has had varying ways of obtaining sperm. It largely depends on the clinic you go through and what state you are in as each state has it's own leglislation in regards to donor gametes, it can be rather complex, some clinics only source local or interstate donors and some source it from overseas, or some clinics have patients on waiting lists as they have a shortage of sperm donors. I used donor sperm on my clinic's single women's program and at the time they imported it from either Victoria or Qld, however Qld didn't have any donors available when I first applied so I applied through Victoria. However since I had my daughter, Victoria no longer supplies to NSW (my state) unless you already have been successful with one of their donors because Vic changed their leglislation, and since there was quite a shortage of sperm my clinic lobbied successfully to start their own donor program and recruit possible donors. As it's a long process to recruit new donors they got onside with IVF Australia as they source donors from overseas. I'm not sure how long it takes with my clinic's new program but when I first applied for sperm there was an approval process that took upto 3 months to go through before you could get access to sperm, sometimes it took longer depending on how many applications had to go through as the meetings only took place once a month. Once the application is approved the sperm can be shipped when you need it. I recently applied for more sperm (same donor as before) to try another cycle for bub #2 and was told it could take at least 4 months to get approved and the sperm to be shipped, despite already having a child to the same donor, but it only took 2.
    Cycle 1 BFN, #2 cancelled, #3-1 emb tfr, biochem, BFP/BFN, #4-FET BFP-m/c 9 1/2 wks #5 cancelled, #6&7 BFN, #8 cancelled, #9,10&11 BFN (+ ANA antibodies), #12
    FINALLY A MUMMA! EVIE LOUISE BORN 20/7/10
    TTC #2 cycle 13 BFN

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kismet For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through qfg we were required to see a councillor to perhaps give us the opportunity to discuss ideas that hadn't occurred to us regarding using a donor it wasn't a session to state whether or not we should've a parent thank goodness lol. Once we got the all clear from the councillor (took 48hrs for her to write her report and pass it along) we were sent an email with the available donors from Australia and overseas. There was 16 overseas donors and 6 Aussies. We decided on the overseas donor because there was heaps of information and photos which was important to us being gay and all for the child to be able to have something to look at and understand where some qualities stemmed from. The Aussie profiles were very limited in info and no pic. We were told it was free to use an Aussie donor and it was $1000 for the overseas donor. 8 weeks later I had my egg pick up and got 17 potential embryos frozen and my first resulted in a pregnancy the only time there was a possibility of going on a waiting list is if we decided to go with the less expensive path, iui, due to the lack of sperm in the country. They didn't want to waste recourses that they lacked. I bought my sperm in February and in June I read that qfg had run out of sperm because legislation is changing regarding overseas sperm. If you are going down this road I would seriously be purchasing stuff now I don't know about anywhere else but qfg will buy back any sperm you don't use for the price you paid for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to queenvee For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (26-07-2012)

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Queensland Fertility Group have a bunch of information sheets that are very detailed - you could contact them and ask for copies to be emailed / posted to you (or get them from a QFG office if you can do that).
    Me - 33 Him - MFI
    #1 IVF Cancelled. No sperm found in TESA and mTESE. Thanks to our donor:
    #2 IVF 5 eggs / 4 fert / 1x2dt / 0 frosties. BFP-early m/c 5wks.
    #3 IVF = 6 eggs / 4 fert / 2x5dt / 1 frosty. BFP!! DS born Feb 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested in this too. I'm currently waiting to see my clinic to get all the details. Anymore info would be great I'm scared of waiting to long and loosing egg quality