+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frustrated...

I had mild GD last pregnancy (diet controlled), so kept my glucometer for this time around. I started checking my levels around 4 months - and in the past few weeks have been doing it after practically every meal. My fasting is always around 4.5 and after a meal it's never been over 6.5 (usually high fives) - except for one day when I went a bit nuts with the shortbread biscuits - and I was still only just over 7.

I had to go straight to the 2 hour GTT test at the hospital because of my history and they tell me I have GD again! My 2 hour level was 8.3 and I was supposed to be less than 7.8... but I don't understand! Of course I know the drink is sweet, but I thought the shortbread would be similar. I had a huge lunch later on (I didn't know the results then and was starving from the fast) and was down to high 5's 2 hours later.

My issue is now I'm considered high risk, I have to go back to the hospital and be monitored more closely... I get lectured by the diabetes 'educators' who last time were awful and made me feel like a bad person... and I have to keep track of my levels four times a day. Plus I have to express colostrum early - which did nothing last time (I actually forgot to take it with me to hospital when I was in labour, but my son latched on right away and we had no problem breastfeeding). My son was only 8lb and had no issues... so I guess I'm just cranky that I have this classification hanging over me when it all seems so pointless.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I guess I didn't mind checking my levels when I knew I didn't have to, but now I'm forced into keeping track of all my food and justifying everything to someone else, I'm a bit cranky. I think what got to me last time was that the educators only cared about the numbers, when really it should have been whether my son was getting too big. When I had a late scan and told them he was average, they didn't even care. Plus they wanted me to use a hospital glucometer which gave out weird inconsistent readings that I couldn't use to gauge my food intake. The one my doctor gave me was much easier to follow but the educators were really unhappy with me wanting to use my own.

I want to stay out of the system as much as possible, but I also don't want to upset anyone involved in my pregnancy care.

Sorry for the negative tone - I just thought because all my readings had been good so far that I had avoided GD this time. I've already had a midwife warn me that I'm probably going to get Type II diabetes later on - which I don't appreciate. I normally eat pretty healthy, my weight was perfect before this pregnancy (I actually got back to my teenage weight recently!) and I'm quite active.

Maybe I'm just being a sook. Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww you poor thing, I do feel sorry for you. I had GD in my first pregnancy and I'm now 9 weeks with my second, so too early to tell yet. But I do remember how annoying it was to have people telling me what to do. Being told I could have 1 piece of toast for breakfast was particularly painful! Sorry i can't help much with your particular situation, but hopefully a bit of sympathy helps.

Hey, i reckon you can ignore that midwife who told you you'll get type II. Sure your risk might be higher than average but doesn't mean its definite! Medics rely a lot on statistics, and sometimes it gets mis-interpreted. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet you're doing the best that you can. Hang in there!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to geobabe For This Useful Post:

misskm  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Miss KM - I failed a test (got a 9 after the 2 hours) but my levels at home have been 5.2 most days after a meal

I think the GTT is very inaccurate as you can have 2 tests on the same day and get VERY different results (stress plays a huge part in your sugars rising, and fasting makes me stress thats for sure!!!)
    My diabetes Dr said that if your fasting levels are good and your levels at home are good then you shouldn't be too high risk. My levels are lower than my husbands, but cause we are pregnant we are monitored more closely.

I had GD with my DS and he was born at 26 weeks and was 5.4 pounds. I was induced due to low amniotic fluid and I was VERY closely monitored, so I'm very glad I was! If I hadn't been induced it would have been a very different outcome!

Its good and bad to be in the system

hopefully you are doing ok now. Would love to know how you are going.
    I passed my first test but did another cause I'm in a cycle study at UWA to learn more about GD. so failed the second. my fasting level was awesome but like I said, the 2 hour was high.

Geobabe - how are you going now? Have you had a test yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD while carrying my son in 2006, and the nutritionists that I was required to go to stressed me out so bad that it actually started raising my already high blood pressure. I had a word with my ob-gyn there, and he said "look, this is what you do." and helped me set up an eating schedule. He said flat out, "Ignore the nutritionists because they are only making you worse." He also took the time to go over my normal diet BEFORE the nutritionist went food police on me and said that my normal choices were fine. In fact, my choices were smarter then the "expert" because all her diet choices were actually raising my readings!
    I think on the whole you have to find a working compromise with your care providers. If you are more comfortable using your own kit, tell her bluntly that you prefer it and aren't willing to use hers because it stresses you out to much. Go over the menu they suggest, and try to re-arrange the food choices they suggest into a working menu that YOU are happy with. When it comes down to it, if your instincts are saying one thing and the experts are trying to make you feel bad or guilty for doing what YOU believe is in YOURS and BABYS best interests then the so called experts aren't doing a good job.
    I've already gotten high readings on the early tests, and they want me to do it AGAIN (I have to fast, drink the stuff and test an hour, then again two hours after!) and I'm already classed as high risk without the added stress of GD on that. Im willing to work with the midwives and consultants, but I go in with a firm expectation that they will take into account my needs and wishes when coming up with a proper care plan.
    Maybe asking for a bit longer appointment to discuss your concerns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Amber - I know how you feel. Try not to freak out too much - I actually told the hospital that I didn't want any input from them this time round and they were fine with that. They said they can't force me to do anything. I think they've actually eased up too in general - even though the range is strict, they said if you can control everything by diet, then they treat you as if you're normal now, not high risk.

The obstetricians and midwives also don't look at my machine - and only glance at my little record book. If you seem responsible to them, they treat you that way.

If you can afford it, check out a health food store near you. They have tons of great low carb items now that you can buy and substitute for your regular diet.

But otherwise, apart from vegetables and the odd apple, I've been living on eggs, dairy, tofu (I'm a vegetarian) and coconut flour (I make a coconut bread for breakfast that's super low carb and really yummy). I also alternate between coconut palm sugar and xylitol for a sweetener and had no problems with either of them (except for one time I drank a huge amount of homemade lemonade made with xylitol and got a bit bloated).

I think there is a lot of confusing information out there, and the only way to figure out what's right is to experiment yourself. I can eat cake if it's made with almond meal or is gluten free, and I can have chai lattes and ice cream and other things that seem really sweet, but I can't eat much bread, rice or pasta. So I'm really just avoiding grains and limiting quantities of sugar.

Plus I do lots of walking or a bit of housework if I think my levels might be slightly high after eating. I have to say I feel quite good. I've barely had a day nap this whole pregnancy even though I don't sleep that great at night due to the usual third trimester discomfort.

Good luck with everything - and I hope you have less stress this time round. My blood pressure was verging on high last time, but this time I've had no problems. And no fluid retention either!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskm For This Useful Post:

AmberDawnWhite  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I do a LOT of sleeping this time around. I try to balance that out with some mild housework or taking a walk with hubby down the driveway (our yard is an acre and a half long!) after supper.

I've had a literal lifetime of no sugar diet needs. Mostly because my body just doesn't like to process it! (In fact Dr's used to tell my mom to give me cups of coffee so she could rest!!) It's a lifelong habit that I just don't usually break.
    In general I prefer fruits n veggies to "snack junk" or sweets, and I eat a very well balanced diet anyway.

I'm just a bit unnerved by all the "new" things with this pregnancy because its the first time I've been pregnant and given birth in Australia LOL and things are sooo different hehe. (For instance, a nurse told me that australians believe epidurals are ******** and they only offer nitrous oxide during labour - which is a HUGE problem for me as Im alergic to nitrous oxide!!)
    We asked the midwife to treat us like first time parents actually, because things are so different from what we are accustomed to. In the end? as long as baby is healthy, we are happy LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not true about epidurals. I know tons of women who have had them. There is a subset of women who push the 'natural' approach but you can do whatever you like. I had an 18 hour labour last time with no pain relief, but then I had to have an emergency c-section anyway. Was going to try natural again this time but just found out it's not recommended as per notes on my file from last time. Like you said, as long as the baby is healthy, that's what matters.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskm For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2nd GTT test today.

Fasting BS levels at 930 am? 6.7 which is actually high for me.
    1 hour later, bs levels 13.1.
    1 hour after that 11.7.