+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Karicare goat in short supply!! Now what??

Since returning to work two months ago, I have been comp feeding my now 6 month old DS2. After much research, we decided to use goats milk formula as I believe it's easier to digest in a similar way to breastmilk. It's been great and he his thriving!!

Recently, I'd been finding it difficult to find where I usually get it so I called karicare and was told that they're having trouble sourcing enough raw ingredients to make the formula to keep up with demand!!

I've cleared the shelves of it in all the shops that had some left, but this will probably only last another month or so. My question is, which formula should I switch to once this runs out?? He's had no probs on goat, so I'm worried that switching will cause him an upset belly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be devastated , DS is not on formula anymore but my niece is , I found this one for my SIL , ( Holle Goat) it's just as good as Karicare, there really is no substitute for goat formula , hopefully Karicare will get itself together soon!

http://bioliving.com.au/brands/holle/infant_formula

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (25-07-2012),PR2bMum  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would be devastated , DS is not on formula anymore but my niece is , I found this one for my SIL , ( Holle Goat) it's just as good as Karicare, there really is no substitute for goat formula , hopefully Karicare will get itself together soon!

http://bioliving.com.au/brands/holle/infant_formula
    I am devastated!! And to be honest, karicare weren't really helpful or sympathetic at all. Just wanted to know why I had him on goats in the first place, and tried to talk me into another of their cows milk based formulas.

I've seen the Holle, so I think that's the way I'm gonna have to go. It's just so expensive through!! I'm lucky in that he's really taken to solids and is eating a good variety of food so not as many bottles now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the karicare goats milk formula still has lactose in it from cows milk so you could try one of the cows milk formulas and see how he goes? i had DD2 on the goat one from 10months but luckily they always had it available at big w. i looked at the holle one but its is so super expensive and dd2 never drank a whole bottle so was a massive waste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old is ur ds? If 12 months you could give him straight goats milk.

Dd can't tolerate cows milk at all (ok now both have lactose etc but that's not the problem, there are other things in cows milk which aren't great for the human digestive system) so we use goats milk and she goes great with it and ur right it's much closer to breast milk.

I had the same problem with long life goats milk. The demand is high and the supply is low....

Reasons:
    1. goats milk has gone up in fashion I guess you would say now that people recognize that it's best.
    2. Goats stop producing a few months a year (do don't produce all year round) so supply drops greatly)

If he is over 12months grab some fresh goats milk and store in the freezer it's about $4.50-$5 a liter so not cheap. You can now get long life again but only at woolworths, it's slightly cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Karicare tend to do this a bit.. When DD2 was on the AR formula they just stopped stocking it for a month or 2 and that's the only one she could use..
    Now we have been testing all different formulas on DD4 and The goat milk formula is the only one she doesn't vomit on and sleeps well with.. FX the low supply doesn't last long..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you buy it online? Like big w online or gotoddler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just checked on line for you, the only place in the world that sells it now is in new Zealand ( where it's made)
    http://www.babyonline.co.nz/products...e&Keyword=Goat
    But they only allow 2 per order per fortnight and only ship to NZ! If you know anyone there or maybe a kiwi hubber can send over to you! It does say on the website due to world wide demand they are sourcing more goats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was lucky to get the last 3 tins in woolies tonight so maybe get family and friends to keep a look out for you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions.
    DS is only 6 months so still has to be on formula for a little while yet.
    I've managed to source another 6 tins of stage 1 & 2 from various woolies which is great. I'll keep hunting and use what I've got til I run out then just go from there.
    He's still breastfeeding overnight and eating plenty of solids luckily so not 100% reliant on formula. I'd just hate to change and cause probs when this one has been so good!!!