+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning 15mo

My DS is 15 months old and I am starting to think about weaning him, but not sure...

He breastfeeds well (although I have noticed a few small lumps in one breast the last few days) and feeds 2-4 times a day (normally twice, in the morning and before bed but if he is cranky during the day or not eating properly I feed him during the day). He can quite easily go without it though.

I am really proud of myself for getting this far because I had so many issues in the beginning, so I feel somewhat guilty for thinking about weaning until he is ready but TBH I am just over it I want my body back, I would like him to have sleepovers at grandma's etc. he is also getting to the stage/age where he puts his hands down my top and sucks on my chest when he wants it.

Just hoping people who had similar circumstances can share their stories. TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump... Anyone?

I need to do something soonish as I am going on nursing placement at the end of September where I might not be here for DS bed time (I always do it as I feed him).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mushh

I don't have any advice but wanted to subscribe because I've been thinking the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I think if you won't be there for bedtimes then he won't expect a feed then. You said he is happy to go without it? My DS went to bed really easily for my DP whenever I wasn't there to feed him or when he slept at grandma's house.
    I would suggest cutting down gradually so it's not a big change all at once.
    I kept the morning and night feeds the longest but if you won't be there for bedtime perhaps give him an afternoon feed and not a night one. Work on whoever will be putting him to bed when you're not there. Get them to start while you are so it becomes expected that you aren't putting him to bed.
    You might find he will still want the morning feed as soon as he sees you as a comfort that you are home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

mishh  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to wean DS (15 months) and I've just started nursing again. So far I've managed to drop the 11am feed (before nap) on some days. I'm still feeding morning and before bed if I'm home depending on my shifts.
    I'm trying to make the morning feed shorter so if he starts mucking around I go and get him a cup of milk and he seems fine with that.
    I find it helps to be in a different place them where we would normally bf for my DS. For example, he would come into my bed for the morning feed. So now I go to his room and give him a quick feed in there before getting a cup of milk. I'm going to slowly transition to just getting him up for a cup of milk but will wait tim he gets used to me being at work for a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is now 19 months and I've been fantasising about weaning since about 15 months. What's stopped me is that a couple of friends weaned around that time and their LOs have been sick with ear infections and colds ever since. One has even tried to relactate and spends hours pumping every day but her DD isn't interested in feeding anymore. She was told that you only need to feed once a day to get the immunological benefits. I know that if I'm not around, my DD can go indefinitely without a feed and DP can easily cuddle her to sleep even though I usually feed to sleep. After seeing what my friends have gone through I'm going to hold off weaning until summer when there are less nasty bugs doing the rounds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips. He goes to day care and they easily get him down for a nap. I think as a PP mentioned its just something he expects from me so hopefully if someone else is doing the bath/bed routine he will be okay. Will trial it a few times with DP and grandma so hopefully he gets used to it. I don't mind feeding him really, just can't help but think it would be easier if I didn't lol