+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feed play sleep?

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to get into some sort of feed, play, sleep routine? My baby is nearly eight wks and the maternal child are nurse said I should get a routine going but he seems really sleepy after a feed so I try to settle him and he does sleep but only for about 20 mins and then he wakes uP but then never goes back to sleep until the next feed??

Would also like to know how often a seven/eight week old should be fed? Up to six weeks, he was feeding every two to three hours, should I just continue this pattern?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    something that may work for you is feed play feed sleep, this way they may sleep a little longer than 20mins.... my DS is much older (8.5 months) but even now we interchange between feed play sleep and feed play feed sleep.....I would recommend using the feed play sleep model as a guide but primarily let your baby steer you, even at that young age they will communicate their needs to you

as for feeding, if you are BF then I would suggest you continue the way you are till baby indicates they can go longer between feeds...say between 8 and 12 weeks you say find they only need 6 feeds (3 day and 3 night). These are just just guides though as every baby is different.

If they are gaining weight and getting enough wet nappies then you can be assured they are getting what they need
    Last edited by giggle berry; 24-07-2012 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having similar problem with my 7 week old.

We can't do the routine because he has very little play time before showing signs of tiredness at times (less than 5 minutes) and at other times he is wide awake for ages and skips a nap. I'm struggling to fit in tummy time as well because he hates it and cries straight away.

I'm making a big effort to get him into some sort of routine but every day is different. And when I need to go out it's worse and he gets cranky.

I think that it doesn't help that he's a colicky baby and I don't always get him to sleep properly.

Sorry, I didn't have an answer to your question! Just issues of my own

As for feeding, DS BF every 3 hours roughly, going a bit longer without a feed at night time sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I loosely followed a feed, play, sleep routine but primarily allowed my babies to set the routine rather than forcing something on them. It took me a bit of practise with my first to learn that, but believe me, once you surrender to them also having a say in how they want to feed/play/sleep instead of constantly feeling like you have to enforce something, life is MUCH more relaxed and enjoyable. Added to that, breast feeding/milk is MEANT to make both mum and baby sleepy, so your baby is really not doing the wrong thing by falling asleep after a feed!

I used to feed them, and keep waking them throughout the feed til I knew they had heaps and were full. Then we'd have wake time IF they stayed awake. If they were too sleepy, I just let them sleep. But basically I never deliberately fed them TO sleep except for the night feeds.

Mine all fed every 2.5-3 hrs til at least 8-12 weeks of age I think, with the night stretches getting longer as they got older. The two girls were sleeping a 6 hr stretch at night from around a month, DS took a bit longer, he was probably 8 weeks old. Probably around 12 weeks their feeds started spreading out to 3.5-4 hrs during the day. I always tried to feed lots during the day and evening though and I think that helped them sleep well at night.

Dont stress about cat-napping, they eventually start sleeping longer stretches during the day, the more you worry about it the more stressful it is when you should just be enjoying your precious little person! Good luck!
    Last edited by Annabella; 24-07-2012 at 22:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    I am having similar problem with my 7 week old.

We can't do the routine because he has very little play time before showing signs of tiredness at times (less than 5 minutes) and at other times he is wide awake for ages and skips a nap. I'm struggling to fit in tummy time as well because he hates it and cries straight away.

I'm making a big effort to get him into some sort of routine but every day is different. And when I need to go out it's worse and he gets cranky.

I think that it doesn't help that he's a colicky baby and I don't always get him to sleep properly.

Sorry, I didn't have an answer to your question! Just issues of my own

As for feeding, DS BF every 3 hours roughly, going a bit longer without a feed at night time sometimes
    Have you tried rolling up a towel and placing it under your baby's rib area to help him get used to tummy time? My baby has no problem with it but I've heard others suggest this solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemousse View Post
    Have you tried rolling up a towel and placing it under your baby's rib area to help him get used to tummy time? My baby has no problem with it but I've heard others suggest this solution.
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a go! Do you know how thick/tall should.the towel be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ho
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a go! Do you know how thick/tall should.the towel be?
    Sorry but I don't know! I guess you'll have to experiment! I hope it works for your bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    something that may work for you is feed play feed sleep, this way they may sleep a little longer than 20mins.... my DS is much older (8.5 months) but even now we interchange between feed play sleep and feed play feed sleep.....I would recommend using the feed play sleep model as a guide but primarily let your baby steer you, even at that young age they will communicate their needs to you

as for feeding, if you are BF then I would suggest you continue the way you are till baby indicates they can go longer between feeds...say between 8 and 12 weeks you say find they only need 6 feeds (3 day and 3 night). These are just just guides though as every baby is different.

If they are gaining weight and getting enough wet nappies then you can be assured they are getting what they need
    Great advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember the mchn telling me the same thing at that age... Luckily I decided to not stress and just follow my baby's lead, which is much easier IMO :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub