+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    Refresh, that's really good! As I said i don't like throwing antibiotics at everything.. Just not sure as I've never done this before. I waited a week and no improvement so I felt like I had to do something as I didn't want to keep giving nurofen/panadol combo to keep bringing his fever down as it kept spiking to 40+..
    Yeah, I think it is 80% of ear infections that clear up by themselves so that leaves 20% that don't I guess. The temp will actually help fight the infection too. i know people who have had success with chiro for ear infections, it just depends on what is causing them I guess. Good luck, I hope it doesn't go on for too long xox

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I might give chiro a go actually! Thank you! Any thoughts on probiotics after antibiotics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    I might give chiro a go actually! Thank you! Any thoughts on probiotics after antibiotics?
    Yes to both. The chiro never helped DS with his ears but I do believe in good chiro.'s

I always believe in PB's after AB's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes, definitely go the probiotics

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ear infections in kids are very common. And yes, it does run in families. My brother got heaps of infections and got grommets about 6 times before he was 6. grommets are basically just little holes in the ear drum that relieve the pressure and let stuff drain out down the ear canal to the outside as the eustachian tube that drains stuff at the other end (and finishes in the back of the nose/throat) is blocked so the middle ear cannot drain if it gets filled up with fluid/infection.

A perforated ear drum is a non-surgical way of having grommets , but the hole can be bigger and the risk of infection going INTO the middle ear is higher, hence the need for antibiotics. It's also more likely to scar if the ear drum bursts than if grommets are put in.

My brother had terrible ear infections and he would scream all night long and then suddenly when we all couldn't take it anymore he'd stop screaming because his ear drum had burst and the pain was gone. I lost count of how many times that happened. He would be fine one day and burst his ear drum 24 hours later. It was horrid. But, he grew out of it all by the age of 6 and now has perfect hearing as an adult.

My ds had his first ear infection at 9 months and had his first set of grommets at 15 months. I thought he'd end up like my brother but he didn't. The grommets fell out 6 months after they went in (which is fairly typical), but he didn't get that many infections after that. Then at about age 3 he was a bit grumpy for a day or two, then I remember him waking in the middle of the night and screaming out, but he went back to sleep ok. The next morning he had blood on the outside of his ear and in his ear canal. Sure enough, he'd burst his ear drum! He had reduced hearing in that ear for a few days and had a course of antibiotics, but was fine.

The ear drum is a protective seal to stop infection getting into the middle ear and so if the drum has burst or the child has grommets you need to stop water getting in the ear. He needs ear plugs for bathing, showering and swimming until the drum is completely healed (which could be months away). Don't use cotton wool as it's not water proof. For swimming a special head band over the earplugs is recommended. I found a good website called little grommets - google it and it has some info and the products to buy too, although you can get the stuff from some good chemists and some pools/swimming shops.

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all of your help everyone! I feel a bit better about it all now x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Don't know whether you will find this useful or not, but I'm happy to share.

Many people (mainly anglo-saxons) are dairy intolerant (cow's milk) and don't realise it. The intolerance often presents as ear infections, throat infections, colds, etc. If you were to take your little one off dairy (milk, cheese, cream, chocolate, yoghurt, etc) you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.

I'm speaking from personal experience -- had terrible ear aches, bronchitis, tonsilitis and colds that would last for months as a child and right through to my 20's. Met my husband and he told me to get off dairy, which was like telling me to cut off my arm, but I haven't looked back. I use goat milk instead of cow's milk and it is the best thing. Rarely get colds and if I do they are all over and done with in about a week (instead of months!). Haven't had tonsilitis in YEARS!!

Just offering a different solution. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was 6 I had a flu, tonsilitis & ear infection.. it all got so bad, my left ear drum burst and was bleeding. I'm 31 now and will never forget the agony of it. They ended up removing my tonsils and also have never ever regained hearing in that ear again.. so i'm half deaf. but i have learnt to hear off my right ear, which is super sensative, if someone walks/talks on my left and we are out in public i cannot hear them unless i fully turn my head so my right ear can hear, same in the car, if im driving and my drivers side window is open and i have road noise/music and someone in the passanger seat talks i can't hear them, but if it's more quiet (the background noise) i can hear them very well. rarely has someone picked up my hearing problem. sometimes i hear things before other people with my right side, obviously super sensative as i said before, but dr's told me i was very very lucky it happened whilst i was young and i had learnt to hear off the one good side. One other thing i guess, is that sometimes i get told i talk too loud/too quietly when i speak, i just don't know the tone of my voice properly, i tend to yell when i speak or i go the opposite where they have trouble hearing me. lol.
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 28-07-2012 at 14:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf2plus2 View Post
    Hi

Don't know whether you will find this useful or not, but I'm happy to share.

Many people (mainly anglo-saxons) are dairy intolerant (cow's milk) and don't realise it. The intolerance often presents as ear infections, throat infections, colds, etc. If you were to take your little one off dairy (milk, cheese, cream, chocolate, yoghurt, etc) you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.

I'm speaking from personal experience -- had terrible ear aches, bronchitis, tonsilitis and colds that would last for months as a child and right through to my 20's. Met my husband and he told me to get off dairy, which was like telling me to cut off my arm, but I haven't looked back. I use goat milk instead of cow's milk and it is the best thing. Rarely get colds and if I do they are all over and done with in about a week (instead of months!). Haven't had tonsilitis in YEARS!!

Just offering a different solution. Best of luck!
    You're probably right, we kept having the same issue when he was on cows milk formula.. Has been diagnosed as allergic at the moment so he doesn't have dairy apparently I was prone and had grommets and tonsils out when I was 7 or so.. silly human bodies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    When I was 6 I had a flu, tonsilitis & ear infection.. it all got so bad, my left ear drum burst and was bleeding. I'm 31 now and will never forget the agony of it. They ended up removing my tonsils and also have never ever regained hearing in that ear again.. so i'm half deaf. but i have learnt to hear off my right ear, which is super sensative, if someone walks/talks on my left and we are out in public i cannot hear them unless i fully turn my head so my right ear can hear, same in the car, if im driving and my drivers side window is open and i have road noise/music and someone in the passanger seat talks i can't hear them, but if it's more quiet (the background noise) i can hear them very well. rarely has someone picked up my hearing problem. sometimes i hear things before other people with my right side, obviously super sensative as i said before, but dr's told me i was very very lucky it happened whilst i was young and i had learnt to hear off the one good side. One other thing i guess, is that sometimes i get told i talk too loud/too quietly when i speak, i just don't know the tone of my voice properly, i tend to yell when i speak or i go the opposite where they have trouble hearing me. lol.
    Oh wow!! That must have been painful!