+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Are you serious? It must be different in each state. In Canberra they have NO choice but to take you. Even if they are full they have to take you. If they have accepted someone who is out of area they need to renig and give you the spot.

I personally think they are just bull****ting you. It is illegal to deny children education (Public). Tell them you have no way of getting them to any other school not that you need justification. They have to take your children!! They have no choice if you are in area.
    Thank you! I agree - I have downloaded the Intake Policy from department website and it clearly states they have to take closest neighbourhood children first, then siblings then anyone else who has applied. Its just the not knowing which is frustrating at the moment .. I'd really like to start getting organised with uniforms etc before bubba #3 enters the world..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    Hi,

Is that just for SA, or Australia wide?
    I'm not sure sorry, I only know about SA public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    Just rock up on the first day of school, enrolled or not.

Buy the uniform, get the book list from your local news agent (they will have it) and just turn up.

They cannot turn you away, no matter how rude they are being to you right now.

Good on you for standing up for your rights

Thank you! I might end up having to do that ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicOne For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In QLD they HAVE to take catchment kids. Perhaps even though it's around the corner, it may not be technically your 'zoned' school. For example, We live about 3mins from the school DS is going to but technically our 'catchment' school is at least 10mins away.

Also, we only just enrolled because enrollment has only just opened. State schools don't allow you to put your name down before about June (depending on the school) before they start

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicOne View Post
    We are in Vic, and Prep is the first compulsory year of school. I think I'm probably feeling way more emotional about it as its my first child going to school, plus I'm 8 months pregnant! I called the office lady again this afternoon, and the principal is on a conference today and tomorrow, she told me I could send her the email and she would forward it on to the principal. So I scanned in the letter from last week, reiterated my points and just asked if we could please sort something out without having to get the department further involved. I then called the lady from the Department of Education again, she was out and then left me a message saying she'd call tomorrow. This is turning into a saga, who'd have thought it could be so hard to enrol in a public primary school you live 2 streets away from - we can hear their bells and loudspeaker announcements inside our house!!
    As someone else mentioned, enrolment forms aren't released until April, I did a tour of the school in May and asked if there was a cut-off date or anything, he said no we take enrolments up until first day of school!!
    having said all that, we just sent off enrolment forms for my son at a private school for high school - entrance year 2023 (how's that for planning ahead!) and received a letter today stating he is currently on the waiting list !!!!!!!
    Hi - I just want to reassure you of a couple of things...

- Sometimes it can take a while for a principal to get a letter, read a letter and then prioritise it - they are extremely busy but it doesn't mean that they are ignoring you, it can sometimes just take time.

- It is term 3 and I completely understand being 8 months pregnant means you want to get organise - who wouldnt but I can pretty much guarantee you that if you are definitely in the school zone then your child will be enrolled at that school - as I mentioned earlier - it's the law, they have to take you.

- Don't feel like you can't get the Department to deal with this - trust me they're used to it and so are schools, schools hear from the Department all the time about so many things. At this time it might be easier to get them to assist you if you are finding it stressful.

If I were you I would give it another week for the principal to get back to you and then call. If you hear nothing then call the Department and request that they deal with it as you have not had a response.

Please PM me if you like. I have worked with these situations for a long time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    In QLD they HAVE to take catchment kids. Perhaps even though it's around the corner, it may not be technically your 'zoned' school. For example, We live about 3mins from the school DS is going to but technically our 'catchment' school is at least 10mins away.

Also, we only just enrolled because enrollment has only just opened. State schools don't allow you to put your name down before about June (depending on the school) before they start
    same here, we are 2 streets off the catchment zone, it's a 2 minute drive, but noooo, so much further out IS in the catchment area, so i have to go 10 mins drive away. really $hits. me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    same here, we are 2 streets off the catchment zone, it's a 2 minute drive, but noooo, so much further out IS in the catchment area, so i have to go 10 mins drive away. really $hits. me.
    One of my friends is the same. They want to move back to their old house which is about 3 streets from their local public school but she is 3 houses out of the catchment. They are on a waiting list for next year but its no guarantee even though her daughter has previously attended the school.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also should point out that because schools MUST take you if you are in their catchment area, there is no such thing as 'too full'. The school had to simply get bigger to accommodate. I've worked in a high school filled with temporary classrooms because it's a boom suburb and they simply must expand to keep up with enrollments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless of course you're out of catchment, then they have every right to put you on a 'waiting list', which by my experience they usually take a large percentage of anyway. Schools like having good numbers, it means they receive more $$$ from the government

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Oh no op that sucks. I never knew about this.

Anyone know what the deal is in SA? Would i need to put my DD down now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Have a look on the decs website, the info is there somewhere. There are a handful of primary schools that are zoned but the majority arent. A few high schools are. From memory if you are in the area they have to take you in SA.
    A friend is having a lot of trouble with this as she is in one of the few primary areas that is zoned, but they are a military family so she cant actually say for sure what her address will be in 3 years time