+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    is this for a public or private school op?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Oh no op that sucks. I never knew about this.

Anyone know what the deal is in SA? Would i need to put my DD down now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I'm a teacher in SA. If you are in the zone (for zoned schools) the school has to take your child(ren) even if they are full, doesn't matter when you enroll, you can rock up the day school starts and they have to take you. (Although it's much better for the school to have warning of kids coming for staffing & classroom set up) If you are not in their zone they will probably take you if there are spaces but have the right to refuse you if they are full. The only exception to this is if there is already a sibling at the school, then they have to take your other kids too. Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilybaby View Post
    I'm a teacher in SA. If you are in the zone (for zoned schools) the school has to take your child(ren) even if they are full, doesn't matter when you enroll, you can rock up the day school starts and they have to take you. (Although it's much better for the school to have warning of kids coming for staffing & classroom set up) If you are not in their zone they will probably take you if there are spaces but have the right to refuse you if they are full. The only exception to this is if there is already a sibling at the school, then they have to take your other kids too. Hope that all makes sense.
    Hi,

Is that just for SA, or Australia wide?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    What a sucky situation!

Is it maybe because you have left it so late to enroll? If she is due to start Term 1 why are you only enrolling now?

Im thinking they have probably offered places to parents who have had their children enrolled for much longer than yours - a first in best dressed situation?

If the school doesn't have a definite zone then they don't have to take your DD - zoned schools do have to take children within that zone but not all are specifically zoned!

My first DS was enrolled from around 2 years old and second DS was enrolled when DS1 started prep but as he was a sibling he was automatically taken it was more just a formality

I hope you can find a resolution soon!
    Sorry but for Vic public schools you can only enroll once the government releases that years forms, so around April this year to enroll in prep next year. You don't have the option or enrolling them at two.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Sorry but for Vic public schools you can only enroll once the government releases that years forms, so around April this year to enroll in prep next year. You don't have the option or enrolling them at two.
    t
    hat's not true...you can apply for any within your zone...and they must take you...and you can apply outside of zone and it is up to numbers if they take you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just rock up on the first day of school, enrolled or not.

Buy the uniform, get the book list from your local news agent (they will have it) and just turn up.

They cannot turn you away, no matter how rude they are being to you right now.

Good on you for standing up for your rights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicOne View Post
    This is more just a vent really .. my daughter is due to start prep next year. I sent in her enrolment papers for the local primary school, which is a 5-10 minute walk away, and today I received a letter saying sorry, too bad so sad but we are full, you'll have to try another school or go on the waiting list.
    The closest goverment school apart from this one is a 10 minute drive .. and i don't particularly want to have to get 3 small children in the car every morning to drive to school if we can help it.
    i called this afternoon to go on the waiting list and the office lady was so rude and horrible about it, complaining about how many people were trying to enrol at the school .. i know there are people who live much further away than we do who have been accepted, it just seems to unfair DD will have to go to a school in a different local area to where we live, and all her friends etc
    anyway, as i said, just a vent! its nice to get it out of my head!!
    Are you serious? It must be different in each state. In Canberra they have NO choice but to take you. Even if they are full they have to take you. If they have accepted someone who is out of area they need to renig and give you the spot.

I personally think they are just bull****ting you. It is illegal to deny children education (Public). Tell them you have no way of getting them to any other school not that you need justification. They have to take your children!! They have no choice if you are in area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    In wa, if you are in the zone of the public school you are applying to they have to accept you.
    This is not true for kindy or pre primary as they are not compulsory years of schooling. Same as Prep in Queensland. It doesn't matter if you live in the zone, for those years - until they are compulsory- schools do not have to enrol you. When we moved to WA halfway through DD1s prep year we could not get into the school of the zone where we lived. As she was pre primary they didnt have an obligation to take her. Would have been different if she were year 1.

We were lucky to get her into the next suburb. And you also needed to reapply for pre primary even if you were attending kindy. There were 2 kids in DS kindy class that missed out on Pre Primary spots.

So from my experience, if it is a non compulsory year of schooling then they do not have to find a space for you, and unless the school has an enrollment management policy they do not have to give you preference over those out of the zone they may chose to offer places in order of date of application.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 02-08-2012 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In WA kindy is not compulsory, so it's a first in first served basis. If your zoned school is full for kindy you have to search elsewhere. Starting next year, pre-primary is compulsory and a spot must be found for your child. However, there is no guarantee that it will be your zoned school. Our local (inner city) zoned school takes children based on a ranking criteria for kindy and pre-primary:
    1. Zoned with older siblings at the school.
    2. Zoned children.
    3. Out of zone but with older siblings at the school.
    4. Out of zone.
    Applications are chosen by criteria and then the order they are received in.

Apparently, on the day kindy and pre-primary enrolments open there is a long line outside the office door. I might have to camp out overnight when 2015 comes around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in Vic, and Prep is the first compulsory year of school. I think I'm probably feeling way more emotional about it as its my first child going to school, plus I'm 8 months pregnant! I called the office lady again this afternoon, and the principal is on a conference today and tomorrow, she told me I could send her the email and she would forward it on to the principal. So I scanned in the letter from last week, reiterated my points and just asked if we could please sort something out without having to get the department further involved. I then called the lady from the Department of Education again, she was out and then left me a message saying she'd call tomorrow. This is turning into a saga, who'd have thought it could be so hard to enrol in a public primary school you live 2 streets away from - we can hear their bells and loudspeaker announcements inside our house!!
    As someone else mentioned, enrolment forms aren't released until April, I did a tour of the school in May and asked if there was a cut-off date or anything, he said no we take enrolments up until first day of school!!
    having said all that, we just sent off enrolment forms for my son at a private school for high school - entrance year 2023 (how's that for planning ahead!) and received a letter today stating he is currently on the waiting list !!!!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicOne For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-08-2012)