+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Oh no op that sucks. I never knew about this.

Anyone know what the deal is in SA? Would i need to put my DD down now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I'm in SA, if you want to go to a school within your zone they have to accept you. I personally hate the school in my zone so have had to go on waiting lists for schools outside my zone - i did manage to get into one i loved thankfully.
    If you want to go to a school outside your zone i would look into enrolling sooner rather than later.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicOne View Post
    Thank you for this. I am in Victoria and we are definitely within their zone, although they tell me they aren't 'zoned' as such. I just called the department of education, and they told me pretty much the same thing as you - as its our closest neighbourhood school, my children have a 'natural right' to attend. They advised me to write a letter to the principal, letting him know I have spoken to the department and see what happens. She was lovely, she said if they still won't take DD, they will follow it up on my behalf with the school. So fingers crossed!!! although now they might peg me as one of 'those' parents before she's even enrolled ....
    Good to hear! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In wa, if you are in the zone of the public school you are applying to they have to accept you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    If you are in Victoria and in the the school zone for a state primary school then legally they have to take you - schools cannot turn students away when they are in that school zone. There are no "waiting lists" for students in appropriate school zones. Not sure about other states though.
    This is the same in nsw.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicOne View Post
    Thank you for this. I am in Victoria and we are definitely within their zone, although they tell me they aren't 'zoned' as such. I just called the department of education, and they told me pretty much the same thing as you - as its our closest neighbourhood school, my children have a 'natural right' to attend. They advised me to write a letter to the principal, letting him know I have spoken to the department and see what happens. She was lovely, she said if they still won't take DD, they will follow it up on my behalf with the school. So fingers crossed!!! although now they might peg me as one of 'those' parents before she's even enrolled ....
    Good on you for following it up.

Don't worry about them pegging you as one of "those" parents- you know your rights and you acted on it. It makes you assertive, not pushy. Just be nice and friendly and volunteer as often as possible and that title won't even get a second thought

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for reassuring me! I dropped off a very polite letter to the principal this afternoon, so will wait and see what happens next. I hate confrontation, am very shy usually but I feel this is important for my baby girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    So just an update .. Dropped off letter last Tuesday, called Friday and left message, called yesterday and left message ... still no response
    I am 8 months pregnant and this is totally stressing me out. Found out today lots of other kids who live much further away have now been offered places .. why not my DD?! Argh I don't need this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That sucks! Do you have a copy of the letter you sent? Was it handed to the principal in person?

If it was handed to a front office staff member they may not have passed it on yet? Or perhaps the principal was busy and they are still talking about your case.

I'd give them 2 weeks after you handed them the letter to respond. In the meantime if you can't wait If you have their email address I'd send an email (with a scanned copy of your original letter) asking if the principal received it. You then have something to send to the education department.

Good luck this sucks big time. How inconvenient if you have to go to an out of area school. On the plus side the education department is on your side, thats a good ally to have..Keep fighting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call the department back. You should get a response from the Principal pretty soon after that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nagari For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a sucky situation!

Is it maybe because you have left it so late to enroll? If she is due to start Term 1 why are you only enrolling now?

Im thinking they have probably offered places to parents who have had their children enrolled for much longer than yours - a first in best dressed situation?

If the school doesn't have a definite zone then they don't have to take your DD - zoned schools do have to take children within that zone but not all are specifically zoned!

My first DS was enrolled from around 2 years old and second DS was enrolled when DS1 started prep but as he was a sibling he was automatically taken it was more just a formality

I hope you can find a resolution soon!