+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not getting into local primary school .. prep

This is more just a vent really .. my daughter is due to start prep next year. I sent in her enrolment papers for the local primary school, which is a 5-10 minute walk away, and today I received a letter saying sorry, too bad so sad but we are full, you'll have to try another school or go on the waiting list.
    The closest goverment school apart from this one is a 10 minute drive .. and i don't particularly want to have to get 3 small children in the car every morning to drive to school if we can help it.
    i called this afternoon to go on the waiting list and the office lady was so rude and horrible about it, complaining about how many people were trying to enrol at the school .. i know there are people who live much further away than we do who have been accepted, it just seems to unfair DD will have to go to a school in a different local area to where we live, and all her friends etc
    anyway, as i said, just a vent! its nice to get it out of my head!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes it sucks doesn't it. Even for a public school you need to get their names down when they are still babies! Is it a zoned school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is frustrating. I had no idea that getting into schools could be so complicated and i wish someone had told me, when my kids were babies, to get them on the lists asap - it's something i never even thought of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I thought if you are in their zone they have to take them?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

dawnygirl  (03-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2012),HugsBunny  (08-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (03-08-2012),twotrunks  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are in Victoria and in the the school zone for a state primary school then legally they have to take you - schools cannot turn students away when they are in that school zone. There are no "waiting lists" for students in appropriate school zones. Not sure about other states though.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

AngelicOne  (24-07-2012),MissPoss  (03-08-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (24-07-2012),trishalishous  (03-08-2012),twotrunks  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    If you are in Victoria and in the the school zone for a state primary school then legally they have to take you - schools cannot turn students away when they are in that school zone. There are no "waiting lists" for students in appropriate school zones. Not sure about other states though.
    That's what I've been told too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh no op that sucks. I never knew about this.

Anyone know what the deal is in SA? Would i need to put my DD down now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Oh no op that sucks. I never knew about this.

Anyone know what the deal is in SA? Would i need to put my DD down now?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I'm not sure about other states but it would be highly unlikely that it would be much different given that state schools are there to service the educational needs of the local students - if it's you local school then it's there for your child.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's the same in NSW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for this. I am in Victoria and we are definitely within their zone, although they tell me they aren't 'zoned' as such. I just called the department of education, and they told me pretty much the same thing as you - as its our closest neighbourhood school, my children have a 'natural right' to attend. They advised me to write a letter to the principal, letting him know I have spoken to the department and see what happens. She was lovely, she said if they still won't take DD, they will follow it up on my behalf with the school. So fingers crossed!!! although now they might peg me as one of 'those' parents before she's even enrolled ....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngelicOne For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-07-2012),MissPoss  (03-08-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (24-07-2012)