+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates79 View Post
    If you met me you would see how wrong that assumption of me is. But this is the internet and it's hard to read people. I'm sure we'd get on well.

What I meant was what I described in my last post, about that circle I was associated with. I don't think that sort of thing is nice.

Being excited about a new car or upcoming party is great. I get excited about that sort of thing, like any human being! But it's not what defines somebody. People often will try and identify with brand names, etc. But at the end of the day, that isn't who they really are. It's just something they do, it's just stuff they buy.

When people are constantly trying to outdo and identify with that sort of thing, that's what I refer to as superficial. I don't tell them that though. It just so happens that people like that and myself drift apart. As I'm sure has always happened with you, when it comes to people you're not on the same wavelength as.
    Good on you for moving on from people who do your head in. So many people seem to just keep going back to groups of people they have fundamentally different life approaches to and i find that so odd.

Sure it's great to have people from all different walks of life and perspectives, but if you disagree so strongly with the way they live their life asks their priorities that you have to regularly ***** about them on a public forum then surely it is time to let the 'friendship' go?

It's just torturing yourself otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Good on you for moving on from people who do your head in. So many people seem to just keep going back to groups of people they have fundamentally different life approaches to and i find that so odd.

Sure it's great to have people from all different walks of life and perspectives, but if you disagree so strongly with the way they live their life asks their priorities that you have to regularly ***** about them on a public forum then surely it is time to let the 'friendship' go?

It's just torturing yourself otherwise.
    Already done that. The purpose of this post was to see if others could relate to it, and to give those likeminded people hope that they are NOT alone and that there ARE genuine people out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do, but I want to see how many other likeminded people there are out there.

It is frustrating at times when it seems as though it's just all dog eat dog.

My mantra with friends is quality, not quantity. When you get older, you definitely find that resonates.
    Im like minded All the best hun xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Socrates79  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Already done that. The purpose of this post was to see if others could relate to it, and to give those likeminded people hope that they are NOT alone and that there ARE genuine people out there.
    Yes i know. That's why I congratulated you on actually doing it, rather than just complaining about them ad infinitum and not making changes in your life to make you happier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Socrates79  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    the thing is...i am similar...i enjoy a simple lifestyle, i don't do excessive lifestyles as far as clothing and makeup, i don't like fakeness etc

what got to me from your OP, was that you were judgemental of those who you didn't approve of.

I have all sorts of friends that i genuinely enjoy being around...some are girly girls and some are not, some are wealthy and have fab holidays etc, some are not. BUT, i accept them for who they are and they accept me. I don't think any of us are fake or lake genuine character...we just like and value different things.

Are some women *****y...sure, but i really think they are the minority! Will people we come across in life disagree with us and have different priorities ? Sure, but this is what life is like. I don't want to surround myself with a heap of "yes men" who agree with me on everything...how on earth would I still continue to learn and grow?

ANd yes, like you, I am in my mid/late 30's!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do get where you are coming from, I dislike the "I spent $400 on a dress, and I spent $500 worth of tupperware bc they are the BEST" type of people. not bc they spent heaps on a dress or tupperware, but bc they brag. I'm very non materialistic... with maybe an exception for my gym clothes fetish lol. I also think mothers and in fact people in general, can be very competitive, and I really shy away from those sort of people. I want people in my life that share my beliefs, not trying to compete.

But I also see Brussell's point in a way, I didn't see your OP before you edited it and I'm reading into it you may have put them down, thus really doing what they do.

Anyhoo, I get what you are saying...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    what got to me from your OP, was that you were judgemental of those who you didn't approve of.
    Taken out of context yet again.

Where did I say I didn't approve of them?

It's NOT the people! It's the behaviour I explained earlier of putting others down.

If I am recognising that and walking away from it, call me judgemental! I don't care. Really.

You are perceiving me to be somebody who just says, 'Oh she's having a Tupperware party, what a cow!" Not true at all. Far from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't like it if people were talking about their salaries and trying to outdo each other, but I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever encountered this.

Most of my friends are successful professionals, and there is plenty that people could say to outdo/ 'one up' each other if they wanted - but I can't think of a single occasion where that's happened. Everyone is very supportive, and excited for each other when someone buys something new/ does something different. There's no bragging - just support.

I have come across competitiveness about parenting choices, but never as much IRL as I have seen on here.

As some PP have said, I would think that most people would identify with what you have said, but potentially it is something that people do without knowing/ recognising it. I can't imagine anyone reading your OP (the pre-deleted one), and saying "Ooh yes, I love bragging about my salary! Can't get enough of it! And being mean about other parents? Count me in!"

I didn't really understand your point about a best friend. I do have a best friend, but it's not something that I 'chose' to make happen. I totally get that it's possible to have lots of friends without the need for one to be a 'best' friend, but sometimes it just happens that way anyway. Sometimes you just click with 1 person more than anyone else, and they feel the same. So I can understand it not happening/ you not minding not having one, but I didn't get what you meant about not 'subscribing' to that - unless you meant you weren't subscribing to the theory that you HAVE to have one (in which case I agree).

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do I delete my account here?

I find forums upsetting and don't want to return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meant to add. I didn't understand the comments about competitive Tupperware buying either.

How does that work? "WELL. Sharon bought $200 worth of Tupperware, so I HAD to get another Modular Mate straight away! I ended up spending $300! Ha! Take that, Sharon."

I buy heeeeeeeeaps of Tupperware, but because I love it (and have an addiction). I'm not sure how you would buy it in a 'braggy' way. And if I tell people I've bought it, it's because I think it's funny that I have a Tupperware problem. I can't imagine bragging about it!

Do you think sometimes things could be interpreted as bragging by people who are maybe a little sensitive about money/ self-esteem, when perhaps they aren't bragging at all?

E.g., I like to go on holiday as much as I can. If I tell people I'm going somewhere, it's because I'm excited and talking about something we're doing - it's never to show off. But I could imagine that maybe someone who couldn't afford to go might feel bitter about hearing it, so it could be seen as showing off when it wasn't. Not sure if I'm explaining it very well.