+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My 2-year-old has tonsilitis - advice please!

My 2-year-old has tonsilitis. He is so sick. He had high fevers for 4 days, but they have now subsided. He started on antibiotics 24 hours ago when his tonsilitis was finally diagnosed after 3 trips to the GP. He has hardly eaten a thing since he got sick 6 days ago. Up until yesterday he would eat yoghurt, but nothing else, and not a lot of yoghurt either. Today he won't eat yoghurt, or icecream, or anything but a couple of small freddo frogs.

Can anyone give me any advice on tonsilitis. How long can I expect for the antibiotics to kick in and him to start improving? If he continues to not eat, at what point do I take him to the hospital? He is drinking a bit, but not heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from recurrent bouts of tonsillitis. My antibiotics usually kick in after 2 days. Does he still have a fever? Child's panadol is good for that and might make him feel better.

In regards to food, maybe try a meal replacement like up n go? Not too sure if kids can have them though, safest to check. Otherwise high carb drinks like lemonade and juice, which I know isn't ideal but just to get some sugar in for energy.

There is a GP hotline you can call if you are still worried. They will provide you immediate advice. Just do a google search for the number.

Hope he gets better soon!! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has just gotten over tonsillitis. I know exactly how you feel. We actually ended up in the children's due to gp not diagnosing it. I was told as long as he is keeping some fluids down (my ds was vomiting everything up) and having wet nappies, not to stress to much about food but I know how distressing it is when your child isn't eating maybe try some jelly or lemonade icy poles/hydralyte icy poles. My ds started eating properly about 3 days after starting antibiotics. I know you said that the temps have stopped but I found giving ds nurofen really helped, seemed to take the pain away a lot better than panadol and he was able to eat more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds got tonsillitis badly at 18 months. Was a little off his food for a day, then woke up clingy the next day and 2 hours later was extremely unwell and we had to rush him to hospital. He was quite sick for about 24 hours (on antibiotics, at home) and then slowly improved. I think by 48 hours he was significantly better, but it was probably 5 days til he was close to his usual self. If your little one isn't better by tomorrow morning I'd be going back to the GP, or if things worsen go to ED.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd1 had her tonils removed 3 months ago after years of recurrent tonsillitis( approx 34 cases since 6 months of age!).
    anibiotis generall take ab bout 48 hrs to work, until they do i reccomend nurofen every 8 hours to help keep he inflammation down and he is more likely to eat or drink when they are smaller.
    Apple juice is what my daughter lived on in the first 48 hrs because it filled her tummy and kept her hydrated.
    You should see some improvement in the nex 12 to24 hours.
    Hope this helps