+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What chores can a 7YO do?

Hi,

My bubs arriving in October and I have a son who is turning 7 next month. I would like to get him to be more involved around the house, as I can foresee how busy I am going to get.

What chores can a 7YO do?

So far, I have gotten him to help clear the dishwasher, put his bowls/cutlery into the dishwasher, change himself, bathe himself with supervision and feed our dog.

With all that on top of his school, he still has a fair bit of time each day and tends to ask me 'Mummy, what can I do??' I dont like to let him watch too much tele or play the Ipad too much, something he would love doing.

HOw else can I involve him in housework? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get my step dd who is 6 to make her bed, put her clothes away, sometimes help with the dishers. she loves helping set up baby room and putting her brothers clothes away : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    5, 8 and 12 year olds have been making their own beds for awhile now. They can also vacuum, put clothes away, iron if need be, sort out bookshelves. They fix their own snacks like toast, drinks, cereal, sandwiches and pack their lunchboxes (sometimes)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    getting the mail
    vacuuming
    cleaning skirtings

i often make educational stuff as "chores"...writing stories/doing drawings/maths etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow amazing that your kids are doing vacuuming and making the bed. I think getting the mail is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 9 year old;
    gets the mail
    empties the small inside recycling bin into the bin one
    feeds the dogs (sometimes)
    Makes her bed
    Keeps her room clean
    Puts her clothes in the washing machine
    Puts away her clean clothes
    Makes/helps with her lunch (sometimes)
    Helps sweep the floor
    Helps weed the garden
    Helps dust

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    by that age Id expect all personal care (wake up, make bed room tidy, get dressed, teeth/hair/ clean face, clothes in wash, make toast/cereal, rinse bowl/plate, shoes on, lunch box/jumper/homework in bag, then lunchbox emptied after school for washing, notes/homework out, afternoon tea dishes rinsed, toys away, shower/brush teeth)
    as well as occasionally helping load/unload dishwasher and washing machine, setting table/clearing table, folding/sorting clean washing. for anything other than personal care Id give pocket money. extra jobs would be weeding gardens/sweeping patio/