+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unplanned pregnancy - please help!!

So I'm FREAKING out today, as just found out last night I'm pregnant. Now of course this usually is exciting news, however my DS is only 10mths old, I've just returned to work this month, we weren't TTC & DH didn't react well either.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Will I get my paid mat leave again from my employer, or is it too soon? I'll be back only 6-7 mths.

I've called Centrelink this morning and I can't get the parental leave again because you need to be working 10mths before bubs birth. So if I don't get paid leave from employer either, we're seriously screwed. I honestly don't know if we could afford it so soon.

DS was conceived via IVF, as we have only a 5% chance of conceiving naturally. I have PCOS among other things, and haven't even had a cycle yet since DS was born! We should be over the moon since the chance of this happening was so remote - but because we aren't at the moment, I feel incredibly guilty

Please help! I'm also freaking out about there only being 18mths age difference too

Thanks
    Reviews
    My goodness. I'm no help but just offering u big hugs. Getting preg so soon is my biggest fear so I can understand how u feel. Xo

Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats firstly!!

No experience but could you be eligible for the baby bonus instead? Perhaps speak to HR & find out what they can offer in terms of leave- you might get some pro rata.

Don't stress about the age gap- my elder sis & I are 18mths apart & despite a few spats as teens we are friends & got along fine as kids (once she got over me arriving that is lol)

Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Congats, Take a deep breath, You will be able to get the baby bonus, i know it not as much as ppl but it something. As for the age gap, it really good gap, i know right now it may not feel that way but you will find that as they grow you will appreciate it more. I have two gaps that size and I love it they are so close.

Feel free to pm if you want to chat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

austmum  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am pregnant at the moment and the baby was very much unplanned. I also felt/feel freaked out and guilty that i am not overjoyed, i've cried a lot tears over it. My biggest issue has been the timing is absolutely awful, the worst. It's not a nice feeling

I am now nearly 12 weeks and i have somewhat settled into the idea of having another, i'm still scared, still nervous about how we will afford it etc but i'm coming to terms with it.

As for the age gap, my first 2 are 21 months apart and i have found it great, there are lots of advantages to a smaller gap and isn't as hard as i imagined it would be.

Best advice i have is to let yourself feel what you are feeling, it is okay to feel upset, it is a huge shock and takes time to come to terms with. You will be okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I couldn't read and not reply

You will get the baby bonus still, I'd talk to your work and find out your options about leave.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take a deep breath and relax This is absolutely amazing news!! Congratulations!!!

19 months between my babies, and the age gap is AMAZING! I wouldn't have it any other way. Dead serious. You will LOVE it!

You will be baby bonus, which is not a great deal less than PPL. Not sure if you're employer will pay you leave or not, but there are always options. Take your annual leave at half pay.. etc.

Totally understand why you're freaking out, but you will make it work! In no time you'll be so excited about this baby you'll be wondering what you were worried about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What an amazing miracle with your low chances of natural conception! Congrats! Sit down do a budget with your husband and count the baby bonus and see if you can afford it. Do you get any other tax cuts with multiple children? I think it's a great age gap, there is 9 years between me and my bro and 13 between me and my sister. I would love to have closer siblings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for your kind support - this is why I needed BH up and running last night!!

Ok so I've checked out the baby bonus info - does anyone know if the combined income of $75k for 6mths is before or after tax? I'm pretty sure we would qualify for this but just need to check. Our problem is DH earns good money on paper, but we also have a lot of debt/commitments that they don't take in to consideration I believe.

I'm considering asking HR about the policy, even though I'm only 6-7wks (I think!). I won't relax or sleep properly until I know otherwise.

It's only the financial aspect that is holding back my joy. Of course once the shock subsides I'll be ecstatic to have fallen pregnant naturally - saves thousands on IVF! But I'm just very concerned that I'll be forced back to work much earlier than I would like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on falling pregnant naturally Does your work do maternity leave pay? If so then yes you are entitled to it. I went on maternity leave with DD2 fell preg 3months after she was born, never returned to work and still got paid maternity leave..

DD4 was my little pill baby I was in shock for the first 16weeks but now that she is here I wouldn't want it any other way..