+ Reply to Thread
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question Non-Catholics working with CAth Ed- who did you get as a 'church' referee

I live in a town that has two schools.

The State school and a Catholic school.

I've been doing supply at the state school, but it's been REALLY slow this year (5 days all up!) and I know the Catholic school is crying out for supply teachers.

I'm filling in the registration forms for Cath Ed, but it asks for a church referee...

Now I am a Christian, and I went to a Christian school, I have no problem in upholding the ethos of the school, yadda yadda yadda...

But I don't go to church, or have a church reference since I moved here in 2009.. and I haven't attended church regularly since 2003.

I have heaps of people who can vouch for my personal virtues and morals, but no one who is in a church 'position'....

So.....

What did you put on your application? Who did you get to fill it in? Advise please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no religion and have taught in a Catholic high school. In my experience Catholic schools tend to not require a referee from a church, whereas the Anglican schools do.

But anyway, what I did when sending in applications was pure honesty. So I would say that you haven't regularly attended church since whatever year but you strive to live according to the values of the church and give a concrete example. Provide a personal reference from the most "respectable" person you know and say that you could provide a reference from a member of the church if necessary but it would be several years out of date.

I think by providing an example of how you represent Christian values (such as volunteering at your child's school or helping a neighbour, whatever) really helped for my applications, I was offered positions at schools that required a church referee so it must have worked.

You'll probably also find they aren't as concerned as long as the applicant isn't teaching RE, and will be less concerned if they are desperate for supply teachers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (23-07-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The Cath-Ed registration form definitely asks for a 'Church' contact... but we get to send a cover letter and I have many good friends who can vouch for my values.

I'm sure it will all be good. I also went to a Christian high school and have a lovely reference from them about my faith stance and commitment to my faith.. So I'm hoping that a reference from school, plus recent documentations of my continued faith will show them that I'm at least dedicated personally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On the registration forms I wrote, "please see cover letter" and made sure I detailed the other stuff on the cover letter.

I reckon they will snap you up!