+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have been screwed over by RE many times. My advice, do EVERYTHING via email and not through phone calls and also keep any and all pieces of paper the RE sends/gives you, no matter how unimportant it might seem at the time. This way, if things go bad in the future, you have written, dated proof that you have communicated the problem and asked for it to be fixed and it was the RE who failed to follow it up. Phone calls are not documented and there is no way to prove you have (calmly and politely) tried to contact the agent). Trust me, it might sound a bit extreme or silly, but come end of lease you might be thankful you have all this paperwork and proof.

Im glad you are getting your hot water sorted tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey and ask for a reduction in rent for the period you have been inconvenienced with no hot water and follow through with a complaint in writing to the licensee of the agency, so somebody gets a rap over the knuckles. I work in RE and no hot water is an emergency and we have to solve it within 2 days but aim for less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh this sounds like we rent through the same agency. I've had the same treatment over my hot water system recently, it was leaking like crazy for 6 weeks before they sent anyone out and then the heating element went so we were having baths with water boiled in the kettle for over 12 days. Then they had the hide to have a go at me because the cupboard the system was in got damaged from all the leaking!

Not to mention the live sparks coming out the the internal fuse box located in my kitchen for over a month before it was replaced (after I lost my rag at them when the electrician told me they knocked back the replacement request he put in after looking at it) that one cost me my fridge, the sparks short circuited and blew it up.

Or the pipe leaking a litre of water a day in the bathroom ceiling and into the bathroom after the ceiling collapsed for over 6 months that's spread black mould through the house and the ceiling now needs replacing.

Or the time I requested a fly screen be put on my children's bedroom window as I can't open it, there's a 9ft drop and they told me that wasn't going to happen either.

Or the time my mail was being stolen from my mailbox for months because when I moved in the padlock loop on the flap was snapped off so not lockable, they told me not their problem. I ended up getting a P.O box....

My advise? Move. It's what we're doing. We have 8 weeks left of our lease and then we're freakin outta here and going to a decent agent. If we didn't need the reference we would have taken them to tribunal long ago!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We recently had no shower for a couple of weeks due to renovations and were given free rent for the period we were inconvenienced. We still had the bath and hot water for everything else though.
    Seems only fair to me that you shouldn't have to pay either. Your rent is meant to pay for a fully functioning house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will find a lot of hold ups happen because the owners won't authorize the repairs, not because the real estate aren't taking action.

There could of been some improvement in communication in this instance though.