+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Challenging cows milk protein intolerance - advice?

Have you tried again Cue?

I've been challenging DS through my milk.
    So far I have reintroduced butter and small amounts of cheese into my diet without any problem- life is worth living again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep - DD has been having a small tub of yoghurt every day for a week and... No reaction!!! Very excited but wary too. She's also had some cheese here and there. I'm slowly relaxing about what's in everything we give her and it's so much easier now. She always wants food off our plates so now I just let her have it without worrying too much.

Good to hear you've had success so far too! It's tough when you're BFing, we had so many feeding issues and the restrictive diet tipped me over the edge. Are you going to try some cheese or yoghurt soon?

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been having little bits of cheese, Parmesan on pasta, etc, but not a big chunk of double Brie yet...
    I'm not sure about trying yoghurt just yet. I don't really miss it- I'd be more likely to have a scoop of ice-cream! I think I'll leave it for another month or so- he's 9 months old now, so a little bit longer. I'll try him on yoghurt after his birthday.
    Great news that your DD is tolerating yoghurt- it makes things so much easier if you don't have to worry about them accidentally eating something that is going to make them feel really unwell.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think DD is failing the challenge

I have been a bit suspicious for a few days now because she's been sleeping really badly at night and seemed to have quite a lot of gas. But she's also had high temps and possibly some teeth about to come through so I thought maybe her unsettled behaviour was from fighting off a virus or her teeth bothering her.

But tonight she woke up crying, like quite an insistent painful cry and was pulling her legs up, arching and gulping. She used to do all these things when she had bad reflux. She's sleeping peacefully in my arms now and seems most comfortable lying slightly upright against my chest.

So I'm going to stop the dairy for now and try again in a few months. It might be better to try again in summer when this horrid cold & flu season is over and we've got a break in the teething. At least then we'll know its the CMPI if she starts getting unsettled again.

I'm so disappointed, even though I knew there was a good chance it would go this way I was feeling quite positive about it.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a CMPI breastfed 1 year old baby, who is also allergic to eggs, dairy, tomatoes and bananas. Everything fun, really. I can have butter but not cheese, and yogurt is completely off the menu. She vomits and gets hives and screams and develops florid eczema. Even touching anything with egg in gives her a nettle rash, yet I can eat eggs, but not bananas. Funny how some thing pass through but others don't. There's a point at which tomatoes become a problem. She is challenged regularly as we have a 3 year old who likes to share, and I'm forgetful with my diet. Her daycare swear she reacts to chicken. I know she reacted badly to satay so I suspect peanuts but am too wary to test that one.

I sooooo miss cheese. But we are having fun with vegan recipes and cooking a lot of Asian food. We cook from scratch anyway so it's not hugely problematic, but reacting to dairy and eggs and tomatoes essentially means no Italian food. And we eat a truck load of pumpkin and coconut. So bored of coconut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh, and freaky, she is a 04/08/2011 baby too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha what a coincidence - the food gods must have been unhappy the day our DDs were born!

Wow it sounds really tough for you but I guess you do get used to it and adapt. Did your 3yo have any food issues as a baby?

I have certainly learned to be more creative with my cooking having a CMPI child. Meals are easy but I get stumped for snack ideas besides fruit. Yoghurt and cheese is so easy but I'll have to go back to the drawing board on snacks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, snacks are a problem. I've been making vegan museli bars, and diversifying into odd things like marinated tofu strips and those rice things that taste like edible polystyrene. The elder one has a different father, and no allergies at all.