+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Challenging cows milk protein intolerance - advice?

We got the all-clear today from DDs paediatrician to challenge her CMPI. Her skin-prick allergy test came back showing no sensitivities at all so we're not concerned about an allergic reaction at this stage.

Any advice? Food ideas? Things to look out for? The Dr ran through the symptoms that can appear if she has an intolerance reaction (unusual poo, skin irritations, unsettled behaviour, weight gain faltering again etc) but just curious to hear from others who've been through it first hand.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DS was diagnosed with a CMPI when he was about 2 months old. I was expressing and giving him formula at the time. He was very windy and farted a lot and every time he farted he pooed (diarrea). Looking back I wish I'd investigated more about what this meant. We were advised to give him soy formula which he didn't react to at all. I was told to avoid cows milk but it turned out that I didn't have to as he didn't have any issues with the EBM. When he was about 8 months old he accidently got hold of some chocolate and ate it and developed a rash around his mouth which we assumed was part of the CMPI. (It went away very quickly afterwards) From 12 months we started with cows milk but I started giving him lactose free milk then I decided to just try regular milk and he was fine and we haven't had any issues since.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Cue  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok- so the idea is that you give a moderate amount of the offending protein to see if there are any issues.
    Yoghurt is a good one to try for a dairy challenge.
    Give yoghurt everyday (I prefer to try in the morning) and you are looking for 3 symptoms which are
    -return of reflux
    -abdominal cramps
    and finally
    -mucous in the poo

It's not until you have ALL 3 symptoms that the challenge is considered a "fail" since the first two symptoms can be attributed to other things.
    When I challenged my DD (a long time ago) she seemed fine, but after a week or so started to get the mucous in her poo, and this is referred to as an accumulative response. We stopped the dairy until the mucous was gone and then started giving her smaller amounts- she could tolerate some dairy, but only small amounts. We still have to watch how much she has and she's 2.5 now.
    As for soy, I challenge first the foods that have hidden soy like bread and cold meats, and then go onto Asian foods since soy milk or yoghurt wouldn't be something regular in my children's diet anyway.
    I'm currently challenging DS through my diet since he's breastfed.
    He's now fine with soy (although we had a little mucous after I went crazy on a loaf of fresh bread!) and since I've used ghee in baking without any problems (which I shouldn't have, since technically it doesn't contain milk protein) I'm going to bake something with butter later this week.
    Since he doesn't care that he's missing dairy (and I do!) I'll challenge next with the things I miss most (cheese) and then take it from there.
    I'll be happy if he can tolerate small amounts so I can at least have real butter and a sprinkle of Parmesan on pasta again.
    HTH
    And if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks cindye! DH sent me a pic earlier of her eating some of the pasta bake I made last night so she's had some cheese now. I will get some yoghurt to try with her too - its a nice easy snack too which it a bonus! Would something like jalna be the best yoghurt to try? Maybe stir in some fruit? I can't tolerate much dairy myself so I'm a big clueless lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go with Jalna- it's supposed to be better (good bacteria-wise) than other yoghurts and it isn't super sweet, like the toddler yoghurts. You could put fruit in it to help her get used to the taste, but my DD still vomits at 2.5 if we give her a fruit/yoghurt combo, but I think it's a textural thing for her.
    That's good she had the pasta bake and liked it! Was she fine afterwards? No tummy aches?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she seems fine, slept through last night which she hasn't done in a while due to colds and teething. She's been super happy today so I don't think she has any tummy pain.

I got some yoghurt today (it's vaalia as they only had giant tubs of jalna) so I'll see how she goes with it. I might try it on Friday as I'm the home with her for 3 days then. I'm quite excited about it, if she doesn't have a reaction there are so many more things I can make for her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome! Good luck for the weekend!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Cue  (25-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you try the yoghurt? How did it go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She refused it, and that afternoon started vomiting thanks to a bout of gastro! So I'll wait until she's better and try again.