+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help for a friend with a prem bub

I know I've seen another thread on this somewhere but I can't find it!
    A friend has had a little girl over the weekend at 28 weeks. She already has a 3yo DS and I guess her and her DH are facing a long, tiring, emotional road over the next weeks/ months.
    What can I do to help? What is the best gift?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about offering to babysit, cooking meals, helping with housework?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Wallflower  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    cooking meals (to leave in the freezer)
    taking their DS on fun outings (if you are close enough) so they don't feel guilty while at the hospital
    a cleaner for a few weeks/months - dep on budget
    see if you can get parking passes for the hospital
    prem clothes (normally have to be hand made)

mostly...being there and respecting their wishes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Wallflower  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meals! Both my SIL had prems not that prem but they said it was great not having to come home and cook. And offer to look after the other little one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I had my premmie son it was such a shock and we were completely unprepared for such a sudden arrival and seven weeks in the hospital. We didn't even have a camera at the time to take photos of our new little baby. With my hubby still having to work, I felt so lonely and afraid while our son faced so many battles to get healthy. A wonderful, kind midwife in the NICU took photos of our baby for us for that first week, had them printed, and gave me a journal to write down everything that happened each day, how I was feeling and my hopes for my son. His photos, tiny footprints and handprints, cards and messages from his mum and dad are all in this journal and it has become a precious keepsake for us. Try to find out if there is anything they need. Not many people are prepared for their baby to arrive at 28 weeks. If money was tight at the time, they might appreciate even simple things like fuel vouchers. I was taken to hospital with only the clothes on my back so getting together a little bag of toiletries for mum or some comfy pj's or socks would be wonderful too. I found the emotional journey far more difficult than anything else. Leaving him behind in the hospital, going shopping and seeing other mums with their newborns, having to be so patient to cuddle him and touch him. If someone had given me something to just let me know that they were thinking of us and to hang in there, it would have meant so much. You sound like a wonderful friend and I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Good luck

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with meals! Definately the way to go and maybe help clean up or look after their other child. But them not being able to stress about cooking would be a wonderful gift.