+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've bought nearly everything new for this one, except bassinet, bath, jolly jumper & play mat, rocker. ive managed to get these back after lending to other family members. We don't know the sex yet but all clothes will be 2nd hand from family members except a few bits & pieces we will buy new. My dd is nearly always in hand me downs very much appreciated from family members as they grow so quick. I do buy new shoes though. My ds get mostly new as no boys in our family so the family & grandparents spoil him in the latest character gear. Both cars are 2nd hand, most of my maternity gear is 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand it's been through all my sisters & sils & it's still in great condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I buy new are car seats, cot mattresses, underwear and some clothes (if I get them on special). We have been given lots of things and paid less than $300 for 3 solid wood cots that are in pretty good condition (we have 3 in cots)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love second hand. We had a second hand cot, bassinet, jolly jumper, swing, clothes with DD, and used most of it again with DS. When I was setting up DS's room, I realised that every piece of furniture in it was second hand, either purchased by us or passed onto us from our extended family.

We get the most amazing hand me downs for DS from a family friend. The majority of clothing in his wardrobe is second hand! The clothes are so beautiful and I feel so blessed.

We buy second hand cars, and pay upfront. I don't object to finance for cars, just figured that the cars we buy now will most likely be trashed by our crazy kids, why waste money on anything special? We aren't "car people" which makes that an easy decision for us.

I can be a little funny with second hand shoes though. Mainly sporting shoes. I like them new, other people's foot sweat freaks me out! Ditto socks and undies!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Seriously I love Op shopping. I super love clothes op shopping. Wee brought furniture and a car second hand before also. I have also brought electronics such as TVs and game consoles second hand. I think the only things ive ever brought brand new would be all our cutlery, dishes etc and intimates like undies etc.

Mind you we do also buy brand new eg our beds and couches we got brand new

So nothing against second hand things here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love OP shopping for clothes! Wouldn't buy shoes, underwear or swimwear though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much all clothes other than socks, swimwear, underwear, are second hand. Furniture, well, I don't have a problem with second hand but because I like bedroom furniture to match I have bought full sets from furniture shops. I do prefer to buy second hand cars, but not too old, the ones I've bought still have balance of new car warranty but have been driven enough to get them used to the road, so to speak. No more than 3 years old. Mattresses are new, shoes are new, carseats are always new, pram would either be new or from someone I know really well and know has not been around pets or smoke. A stroller for a toddler is fine from a non-smoker, I'm not as concerned about a little pet hair by that age but for a newborn I am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Old thread, but interesting topic

Most things we own are second hand.
    Looking around, the only things I can see that aren't are electronics, food, toiletries, my engagement ring and things that were gifts.

I much prefer buying second hand... much more sustainable, much cheaper, and I often find it easier to find things I like. Op-shopping is one of my favourite pastimes.