+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleep school what do they do?

I have been having sleep issues with 4mth old ds and im now thinkin its time to call ngala anew set up sleep school in Perth i think its in bentley somewhere

Anyway have you been? What did they do to help and did it work? I don't want to be leaving him to cry alone (ignore my previous post a week ago haha i was at my wits end)

He is getting worse wakes about 4 times between 9pm and 6am and hard to get to sleep during day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone just replied to an old post about sleep school so seems it works.. Has anyone done one in Perth? Was that a 5 night thing or overnight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing as I've been wondering if they are worth it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my boy was a bub we did a session at Ngala (not an overnighter, just an information session that was a few hours long). That gave us the techniques we needed to get him into good routines. It was four years ago, so my info isn't current and may not be what they do now, but there was a real focus on reading the crying, and ignoring grizzling, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some of my friends went to tressillion (sp?) they use CC methods, not reccomended for under 6 months ( I personally wouldn't reccomend it full stop)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to sleep school - twice - and while it didn't help DS sleep better (as in, some people have noticeable differences within 2 weeks - 4 months down the track for us and I am only just seeing a very slight improvement in DS's sleeping, which I feel is more due to him maturing than the persistant techniques I've been using), I think it did give me some confidence about resettling, and assured me that I was doing what I could to help him ("doing what I could" according to their methods). The fact is though, that with resettling during the day, the only way I could ever do it was to turn DS on his side - which the sleep school discouraged, and yet, they failed on all attempts (on the second visit) to resettle him, and the only way it could be done was with my methods. But I've known plenty of people who it has been successful for, but many it hasn't been. I think it depends on the nature of the problem, and how consistent you can be etc. I think it is useful to go for a visit, but some charge astronomical amounts. If that is the case, then I would probably not go for a stay - I'd use other methods and read books etc. So, personally, where I got a few things out of our stays (which I probably could have gotten elsewhere anyway), it wasn't successful for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Should also say, it was helpful in helping me become confident in establishing a routine that worked for us. I could probably have gotten that info off their website, but sometimes having the info, and putting it into practice, can be tough (esp if you don't have the confidence). So it wasn't a total waste of time. They also didn't do CC, they called it 'responsive' - where they expect you to read the cries/grizzles and learn when to go in and when to ignore and see what they will do next. While I got the gist of that, I found that nurses weren't consistent across the board, so it can be a bit confusing... so I took what I needed to out of it and applied my own variation that suited my son.