+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Vaccination confusion

Hello!! I'm seeking some advice because the information I am finding on this is really.. confusing.
    Is the mmr vax combined with chickenpox vax? My daughter has already caught chickenpox naturally so Will I be able to easily refuse this vax? I have a friend who was in a vax trial and she said that the mmr is now mmrv. I don't want her to have the v part. There seems no point. Can I do that?
    Secondly, are live vaccines contagious to others for a period of time? I was reading fact sheets on another main****** parenting website and it stated that pregnant women should avoid people with the chickenpox OR when the vaccine has been given within 28 days. Trying to confirm if this is true, my pregnant friend called the immunisation nurse who said yes, true, and also said she didn't get her own daughter done while she (the nurse) was pregnant just in case. However, I can't find any more confirmation on this. If it is true that it can be contagious, does this mean that other live vaxes can be contagious? Such as measles or mumps.
    Also, the pertussis vaccine, I was under the impression was not live. However, a friend who does not vaccinate said her gp told her it was, and that she can actually spread pertussis for a few weeks after the needle. This has got to be false right? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds had mmr at 12months and will have chickenpox at 18months. If your daughter has already had chickenpox then I wouldn't think they would do it as levels of immunity are higher from already having the disease then from the vaccination itself (so I've been told). I was 10 weeks pregnant when my ds had his mmr vaccination and was told as long has I had been vaccinated or had immunity through already having caught the disease there is no need to worry. Just be thorough with hand washing etc.

I was also working in child care when pregnant with ds and had a major outbreak of chicken pox (through both kinder rooms and every child that caught it, which was pretty much all of them, had been vacinnated). Even though I had had chicken pox as a child and had immunity to it, I had to take nearly 3 months off work (paid), advised by dhs and worksafe because they didn't want the risk of me being there.
    Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    mmr- you can get either the mmr OR mmrv as far as I know, if your DD already had chicken pox then no need for the "v", From what I can see one should avoid becoming pregnant for 28 days after the vaccine. I can't find any info to suggest a person who has had a vax would then carry and spread the disease. WC vax is inactive, your friend is mistaken. You can't catch a virus from someone injected with an inactive virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    mmr- you can get either the mmr OR mmrv as far as I know, if your DD already had chicken pox then no need for the "v", From what I can see one should avoid becoming pregnant for 28 days after the vaccine. I can't find any info to suggest a person who has had a vax would then carry and spread the disease. WC vax is inactive, your friend is mistaken. You can't catch a virus from someone injected with an inactive virus.
    I really wish I could link to the website but I think its against bubhub rules because its another parenting forum. I guess whoever wrote the factsheet could have got it wrong. Perhaps I should email them to see where they got their info from.. like I said, an immunisation nurse confirmed it too! But I can't find it anywhere else.
    Do you know of any good links to info about the pertussis vaccine being changed to inactive? I have read that it was active but they changed it around 1990 for safety reasons. I would like to pass this info on, in case some of my friends are not vaccinating for whooping cough for this reason..
    So.. you can't spread a virus from an inactive vax? But.. can you spread from an active one.. is probably my big question. I work with pregnant women and I also take my daughter with me sometimes. I would hate to think that my vaccinated daughter could spread these viruses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    My ds had mmr at 12months and will have chickenpox at 18months. If your daughter has already had chickenpox then I wouldn't think they would do it as levels of immunity are higher from already having the disease then from the vaccination itself (so I've been told). I was 10 weeks pregnant when my ds had his mmr vaccination and was told as long has I had been vaccinated or had immunity through already having caught the disease there is no need to worry. Just be thorough with hand washing etc.

I was also working in child care when pregnant with ds and had a major outbreak of chicken pox (through both kinder rooms and every child that caught it, which was pretty much all of them, had been vacinnated). Even though I had had chicken pox as a child and had immunity to it, I had to take nearly 3 months off work (paid), advised by dhs and worksafe because they didn't want the risk of me being there.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks. So your gp was saying that the vax CAN "shed".. is that the correct term? No idea.. but because you have immunity, its not a concern? I assume that's why he said be careful with hand washing? Is it the same as rotavirus?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Thanks. So your gp was saying that the vax CAN "shed".. is that the correct term? No idea.. but because you have immunity, its not a concern? I assume that's why he said be careful with hand washing? Is it the same as rotavirus?

Yes was told that if I didn't mmr immunity that there was a concern but because I did there was no need to stress. My ds only had one dose of rotavirus (at 2 months), he had a reaction to it so didn't do the other doses. Again be very thorough with hand washing and I would even go as far as to say wear gloves when changing nappies, I think it's live in there systems for up to 11 days (?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post

Also my DH has never had chickenpox or had the vaccination. He's not to concerned about catching it but we were told if he didn't have the vax prior to my ds and didn't want the risk of catching it then he would need to have no contact with our ds for the 7 days after ds had vax.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (23-07-2012)