+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Changing bubs surname to include mine..?

Wondering if anyone can help me here.. I am wanting to hyphenate DDs surname to include mine, however FOB will not allow it. Do I need his permission?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes if you want to do it legally. You can just start using the name you want though, but "officially" she'd still have his name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anything that doesn't require a birth certificate or medicare etc you can use your last name. My DD1 has the surname of her "sperm donor" but I will put her in kindy and school with my last name. And once she's old enough to change it herself I will pay for it, if that's what she wants of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing so I can answer properly later when I have time! It's a mammoth process!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say sperm donor because he hasn't seen her in almost 3 years and she's nearly 4. For all she knows, DP is her daddy as that's all she's known as a dad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Faroutbrusselsprout looking forward to hearing! I cant find much on the process x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    to be 100% sure talk to the BDM of your state. ( OP I know you are not in the same state as me, QLD, so some of this could be different)

If the father of the child is not willing to agree and complete the paperwork then you will have to have a court order to change the name legally before the child is an adult and can change it themselves. This is the legislation for QLD, I would believe other states have similar rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in QLD actually! Dammit. So even if I just want to add my surname into hers he has to sign off? He doesn't want her to have a hyphenated surname, for no particular reason. Unless I do this, she and I will never have the same surname :-(. Do you have to have a better reason than that to take it to court?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in QLD actually! Dammit. So even if I just want to add my surname into hers he has to sign off? He doesn't want her to have a hyphenated surname, for no particular reason. Unless I do this, she and I will never have the same surname :-(. Do you have to have a better reason than that to take it to court?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies for my very late reply. I haven't had time to get back and write my reply!

Basically the answer is as Mommi Wren said.
    You are able to call your child by her "new" hyphenated name as you wish but if your ex finds out and is not happy he can apply to the courts to stop you from doing this. A child's name is NOT allowed to be changed without both parents on the birth certificates signatures.
    Your daughter can use her hyphenate dname but you will still have to enrol her in EVERYTHING (school, medicare, doctor etc, flights etc) as her birth name.
    If you are 100% convinced that it is HER best interests to have her name altered then you must first attempt mediation with your ex. You should also gather evidence to support your case, which can then be used later on in court if an agreement is unable to be made during mediation.
    You really should get a psychological report done by a qualified psychologist who can support that it is in fact in the best interest of the child. The psychologist should see the child on numerous occasions.
    You should also get letters from teachers, doctors etc to also state that they believe it is in the best interest of the child.
    You also have to write an affidavit supporting why you think it should be changed. This should include the fact that you support her relationship with her father.
    The minute a judge gets a sniff of malice or ill intent you will be thrown out. People try and do this all the time so you need to have a water tight case to present.
    If you can afford a lawyer I would strongly recommend it, it's not an easy process.
    If you are unable to do any of this I wouldn't bother to be honest.
    Good Luck!!