+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default could it be asthma?

DD has had a chesty/sort of phlemy cough for weeks now. Shes been on antiboitics TWICE now and its still not cleared up.
    First lot of antibiotics was about 1.5 months ago. Then another lots (just finished today) and its still around.

What do i do next? Could it be asthma??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Has the Dr checked it's not bronchiolitis? Antibiotics don't work I think they give them steroids , my friends 9 month old has it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Defiantly could be asthma sounds exactly like my ds it flairs up every change of season but he is slowly growing out if it. He would be given a steriod, can't remember then name of it for 3 days then he also has his preventor & normal puffer to take. He now only needs his preventor morning & night.
    Defiantly go back to Dr or get a second opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our little girl is similiar to that and had tested positive to RSV, which is similar to chronic bronchiliotis (sp). Majority of doctors won't test for it as it is quite uncomfortable for the child (a giant cotton bud thing goes up their nasal passage). We saw a top respiratory paed before this was done. Also, he gets really cranky when gps prescribe steriods for children, like predisolone (sp) unless they actually have been diagnosed with asthma or have croup (which is a dry, barky cough, as opposed to a wet mucousy one.
    It can be very frustrating at times as there is nothing worse than having a sick bubba and conflicting info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamute View Post
    Defiantly could be asthma sounds exactly like my ds it flairs up every change of season but he is slowly growing out if it. He would be given a steriod, can't remember then name of it for 3 days then he also has his preventor & normal puffer to take. He now only needs his preventor morning & night.
    Defiantly go back to Dr or get a second opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    This. My DS is the same, sounds like it triggered by a virus, they may prescribe Redipred for 3 days. It irks me how GP's prescribe antibiotics incase it a bacterial infection, when it probably isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son's asthma presents as a cough, so yes it could be. I didn't even know that existed until I took him to the Dr. We were given a preventer and ventolin and it made such a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it surprising that your doctor hasn't thought if the possibility that it could be asthma. The symptoms sounds like it could be asthma. This year has been the worst by far for DS. He is on flixotide as a preventer and ventolin. When he gets really bad we give him prednisolone for 3 days. I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget you can contact Asthma Australia for information and advice on 1800ASTHMA (1800278462) you can also register online to have a free Control pack sent to you that has heaps of information to help you better manage asthma symptoms and includes an emergency fridge magnet.
    http://asthmaaustralia.org.au/assist/